Power lost to extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a total novice with electrics. My Caravan shower extractor fan stopped yesterday and there is no power at the extractor end of the cable. The fan and light usually work together from a light pull cord. The power to the fuse box is fine. Cable runs through ceiling cavity that I cannot access. How can power just stop at the extractor end and is there an easy fix or will I need an electrician? Many thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
Check the fuse in that spur faceplate - this would be a good indicator and why power has all of a sudden stopped.

How do you know there’s nothing cable end? Have you tested it?

I tried the fuse and it worked elsewhere. Also replaced it with another fuse anyway. I used a pen tester which showed no power. But power at fuse and light pull. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I used a pen tester which showed no power.
Pen tester - do you mean the non contact type, or neon screwdriver? If the former then they’re quite unreliable. You’d be better with a 2 pole voltage indicator or the very least a multimeter. The only other 2 things I can think of are : a fault on the switch live from the lights (which again would depict no power from testers), disconnected wire(s) or a faulty spur switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back