Power Sharing In NI collapses again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone else share my suspicion: that DUP are intentionally scuppering the Power Sharing negotiations hoping that direct rule will resort back to Parliament?
There is "no current prospect" of a deal to restore power sharing in Northern Ireland, the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) leader has said.
Sinn Féin's Michelle O'Neill accused the DUP of having "collapsed" the talks process.
Mrs O'Neill, Sinn Féin's leader at Stormont, said her party had "reached an accommodation with the leadership of the DUP" but claimed that the DUP then "failed to close" on it.

In her statement, Mrs Foster called on the UK government to set a budget and start making policy decisions for Northern Ireland.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-43064009

It could not have anything to do with the arrangement between TM and the DUP, could it?
I reckon they should go back to the polls, preferably when the Brexit discussions become more disclosed.

Sponsored Links
NO.......because you are wrong :)
Oh no I am not !

Oh yes you are.

FFS!

He is behind you. :rolleyes:

Oh no he is not! :rolleyes:

You are demonstrating your lack of ability again.

It is obvious why I stopped posting before. Because there are idiots making senseless posts because that is all they have to offer.

I wonder what the forthcoming NI customs and immigration border will look like.

Sponsored Links
I do not think Notch had a sensible opinion. He just wanted to sabotage a thread started by me. It is all that he has to offer.

I doubt if you will get any sense out of him.

Interesting insight by Evan Davis last night.
If direct rule reverts to Parliament, the government have committed to an Irish Language Act and therefore must deliver. Which is directly against the DUP's wishes.

Also gay marriage is universal in UK, except for NI. Therefore the UK parliament would rule that gay marriage is acceptable in NI, against the DUP's policy.

Abortion is acceptable in UK, except NI, etc, etc.

The DUP may shoot themselves in the foot if direct rule reverts to UK parliament.
Perhaps the tail of the DUP will wag the dog of the Tories?
It was also noted that the UK government simply does not have the capacity to govern NI, especially in the current political landscape of Brexit.

Last edited:
You are letting your own prejudices affect your judgement again.
The DUP have stated that they are willing to go back into government anytime with no preconditions or red lines, so why are you blaming the DUP.
SF/IRA have no interest whatsoever in making N.Ireland work ,they were forced to abandon terrorism but they have never abandoned their aim of a United Ireland whether the people want it or not.
This debacle over the Irish language is SF's latest attempt to subvert democracy by using blackmail to get their way, this time that are holding N.Ireland to ransom by issuing a list of demands to be met before they return to government, in other words if the Unionists don't pay up then no government.
It isn't only an Irish language act costing millions of pounds that SF are demanding they also want so called 'legacy inquests' into the deaths of terrorists killed by the security forces, meanwhile hospital waiting lists are up and more and more cuts are in the pipeline yet SF doesn't care who suffers but then again human life never meant much to them.

I have to say Vinty's version aligns with what I picked up from the media.

I have to say Vinty's version aligns with what I picked up from the media.
Really?
The talks ended on Wednesday after the DUP declared there was "no current prospect" of a deal.
Arlene Foster said the talks failed due to disagreements with Sinn Féin about legislation for the Irish language.
While the DUP have made it clear they want Westminster to take charge ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43067088
The UK government have already committed to an Irish Language Act.

So now I have shown you some media items that appear to support SF position.
Perhaps you, or Vinty, can do the same but with media that appears to support DUP?

You are letting your own prejudices affect your judgement again.
The DUP have stated that they are willing to go back into government anytime with no preconditions or red lines, so why are you blaming the DUP.
She (Arlene Foster) said that Sinn Féin's "insistence on a stand-alone Irish Language Act means that we have reached an impasse".

Well there is one red line for starters.
Gay marriage, abortion......?

without googling - have a gues how many people in NI speak the irish language? I think you'll be suprised, then have a punt at the initial and ongoing costs of its implementation.

There is something more to this than protecting a minority language. To you and I the colours green and orange are just colours. But clearly there is more to it. How many Nationalist speak the language vs unionists?

How would UK residents feel if we had a polish language act - there are a lot more polish speakers in the UK than Irish speakers in NI.

Last edited:
without googling - have a gues how many people in NI speak the irish language? I think you'll be suprised, then have a punt at the initial and ongoing costs of its implementation.

There is something more to this than protecting a minority language. To you and I the colours green and orange are just colours. But clearly there is more to it. How many Nationalist speak the language vs unionists?

How would UK residents feel if we had a polish language act - there are a lot more polish speakers in the UK than Irish speakers in NI.
That is immaterial. The Irish (and the Irish speakers, however few or many they are) are entitled to the same consideration as Welsh, and the other 10 language speakers.
There are 11 indigenous languages spoken across the British Isles
upload_2018-2-15_18-6-50.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_Kingdom
But also UK has
The UK government has ratified the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages in respect of:

• Cornish (in Cornwall)
  • Irish and Ulster Scots (in Northern Ireland)
  • Scots and Scottish Gaelic (in Scotland)
  • Welsh (in Wales)

Well there is one red line for starters.
Gay marriage, abortion......?
The place to sort these problems out is in the N.Ireland Parliament, by walking out they they have caused hardship to ordinary people, Gay marriage abortion ect. you seem to think that these issues are more important than health, education and the economy.
Already people are being affected because big decisions on health education ,infrastructure and the economy can't be taken because there is no government.
For Years SF and their useful idiots in other parties have campaigned for the removal of any British symbols from private and public spaces on the grounds that Catholics found them intimidating ,they said they only wanted to create neutral spaces were everyone would feel comfortable.
Having achieved their aim of removing the Union flag and the Crown symbol from public services and buildings they are now campaigning to have these neutral spaces Gaelicised with their Irish Language laws ,the people of Ulster regard Gaelic as the Irish equivalent of Sharia law.
The Irish language act envisaged by SF demands that Gaelicisation should apply to the whole population of N.Ireland ,that means no jobs in public services without a qualification in Gaelic, this was the tactic used in the Irish Republic to remove protestants from the Civil service after partition.
The fact is that the majority in N.I. are geographically Irish but have a British heritage so why should they support laws which are designed to destroy that heritage.

The fact is that the majority in N.I. are geographically Irish but have a British heritage so why should they support laws which are designed to destroy that heritage.
Perhaps some in Ireland see it as reinstating what has always been. Is having a British heritage (rather than an Irish identity) all that important?

It never ceases to amaze me when the Scots make a load of fuss using their own brand of bigotry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back