Theresa's mercenaries getting itchy feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
On what basis do you fund? Number of MP's share of vote? Don't parties serve their members, who pay membership fees?
There are plenty of examples in use, for decades, in Europe and around the world to take inspiration from:
In many other democracies such subsidies for party activity (in general or just for campaign purposes) have been introduced decades ago. Public financing for parties and/ or candidates (during election times and beyond) has several permutations and is increasingly common. Germany, Sweden, Israel, Canada, Australia, Austria and Spain are cases in point. More recently among others France, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands and Poland have followed suit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_funding#Donations_and_Subscriptions

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Everyone who buys things pays tax.
A full time employee would earn above this limit on minimum wage and would also pay NI well below that.
My cleaner earns more than minimum wage.

Everyone who buys things pays tax.
They would pay indirect tax even if there is no funding for political parties. It would be spent elsewhere.
I suspect governments set tax rates at the level they think will be tolerated, (and then the available money is divided according to policies/needs), rather than the level they need to fulfill their policies.

A full time employee would earn above this limit on minimum wage and would also pay NI well below that.
A voter can vote for the party/MP that decides what tax levels are set and what that tax is spent on. That is democracy. (Which the Brexiteers are so often using as an excuse for Brexit)

My cleaner earns more than minimum wage.
per hour? OK
But do you really need/employ a F/T cleaner? You must be a messy 6ugger. ;)

I personally don't want my taxes spent on funding political parties.
It could save money in the long run, we already pay the wages of MP's, we could stop paying their wages but all that would happen would be that the private sector would step in and buy them up that is how it worked in the old days.
If political parties were not depending on private donor's there could fewer illegal wars on behalf of the vested interests.

It could save money in the long run, we already pay the wages of MP's, we could stop paying their wages but all that would happen would be that the private sector would step in and buy them up that is how it worked in the old days.
If political parties were not depending on private donor's there could fewer illegal wars on behalf of the vested interests.
I think you have spent too much time reading Plato's Phaedo.

75% of European legislation may be influenced by lobbyists.

There are 30,000 lobbyists, they spent 1.7B € in 2016.

Volkswagon are in the top 10 of biggest companies exerting influence over Brussels.

75% of European legislation may be influenced by lobbyists.

There are 30,000 lobbyists, they spent 1.7B € in 2016.

Volkswagon are in the top 10 of biggest companies exerting influence over Brussels.
Similar to the US. Why are you surprised that a large multi national political institution has a robust lobbying infrastructure behind it? Happens in all politics.

Or was this pointless lobbying diversion your way of not being able to show that the CBI figures were inaccurate? Poor old Notch. Keep trying Troll boy.

Last edited:
Similar to the US. Why are you surprised that a large multi national political institution has a robust lobbying infrastructure behind it? Happens in all politics.

Or was this pointless lobbying diversion your way of not being able to show that the CBI figures were inaccurate? Poor old Notch. Keep trying Troll boy.

I never said the CBI figures were inaccurate. I did point out that just because only 5% of its income is from public bodies is no proof it is not biased. Potentially a significant percentage of CBI members also lobby the EU.

Given that 99% of your posts are no more than 1 line, usually just a few words shows you up as the resident troll. Have you ever actually posted any in depth discussion. Noseall is an LWT :)

I did point out that just because only 5% of its income is from public bodies is no proof it is not biased
Your opinion is as valid as anyone's.
The CBI make no secret of their accounting. The paper they published with regards to economic EU membership seemed pretty accurate, hence nothing from you to rebuff - only trolling.

Given that 99% of your posts are no more than 1 line, usually just a few words shows you up as the resident troll.
I guess we are all resident trolls then. And I guess that makes you not only the Chief Troll, but a resentful one.

Last edited:
I did point out that just because only 5% of its income is from public bodies is no proof it is not biased.
Of course it is biased, biased towards the interests of industry and commerce. It says so on its website:
"As the UK's most effective and influential business organisation, the CBI works to create the best environment for business and economic growth. We do this by providing a collective, progressive voice to government and policymakers on the key issues impacting businesses like yours."

Potentially a significant percentage of CBI members also lobby the EU.
You appear to be confusing the CBI and its members. The CBI is an organisation representing its members.
Its members are still free to practise their own lobbying, but why would they when the CBI will do it for them?
Potentially, the sun will stop shining tomorrow. :rolleyes:
However, probably, it will continue to shine.

Given that 99% of your posts are no more than 1 line, usually just a few words shows you up as the resident troll. Have you ever actually posted any in depth discussion. Noseall is an LWT :)
Typical comment supposed to be an argument supporting your position, but in reality just pure insulting drivel.

ou appear to be confusing the CBI and its members. The CBI is an organisation representing its members.
Its members are still free to practise their own lobbying, but why would they when the CBI will do it for them?
Potentially, the sun will stop shining tomorrow. :rolleyes:
However, probably, it will continue to shine.

This from a person that thinks there was only 1 case of CJD in France. Numpty doesnt begin to describe it :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back