Theresa's mercenaries getting itchy feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
The Tory party.

Compared to the the EU, the Tory party lobbysts are small beer.

Labour have their snouts at the trough.... £500,000 from Max Mosley.

Corbyn...... £20,000 for appearances in Iran tv

I dont know how much he got from Russia Today......probably a big Czech

Compared to the the EU, the Tory party lobbysts are small beer.

Labour have their snouts at the trough.... £500,000 from Max Mosley.

Corbyn...... £20,000 for appearances in Iran tv

I dont know how much he got from Russia Today......probably a big Czech

Not sure current spend but lobbyists are everywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/jul/09/finance-industry-lobbying-budget-revealed

25% of Tory party funding is from the finance sector and the torys raise more money than Labour.

Sponsored Links
I've not looked in to it, but I'd have thought lobbying is also done by Charities and NGOs too - Greenpeace, Oxfam, Red Cross, The Samaritans, Help The Aged, Scope, Air Ambulance Trusts, Natural England, CND etc seek to influence government policy. And it's to be expected and I'd say welcomed to some extent. To influence policy is an extension of the rest of the non-political work they do.

Nozzle

Charities are discouraged from lobbying by law, and may get into trouble for it. Sometimes their volunteers may work with campaigning groups in a way that will not get them into trouble, or use funds not derived from charitable donations.

For example, if you are a health charity concerned with lung cancer, heart disease, chronic bronchitis and emphysema, you are not allowed to campaign against cigarettes. If you are a charity concerned with helping the homeless, you are not allowed to campaign for social housing. If you are a charity concerned with access to education, you are not allowed to campaign against student loans, tuition fees, interest rates, or increases in them.

Some might find this strange.

But no doubt it was government's intention.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...es-greenpeace-save-the-children-a7918416.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans..._Trade_Union_Administration_Act_2014#Part_3:_"Trade_Unions’_Registers_of_Members_"

Sometimes their volunteers may work with campaigning groups in a way that will not get them into trouble, or use funds not derived from charitable donations.

There is always a way.

From the few sentences of info I dared to google though, it is PUBLIC FUNDS, given from the tax payer via Government, that may not be spent on Lobbying. Which is sound really, otherwise said funds from the Tax Payer may be squandered on Lobbying rather than what it is intended for; say housing, hardship grants, blankets, bandages, helicopeter fuel etc. Money that is collected by the charity for the charity is a different game.

Nozzle

has the Eu ever opened its books to scrutiny or published there accounts ??

All this caper about charities in Haiti.

Providing that the charity worker culprits , paid the sex workers the going rate out of there own pockets ?? then what has it got to do with any one else imo ?

What some one does with there own money in there own time has got nowt to do with a bunch of PC , hypocrit politicians.

(providing its legal)

but when it’s “sold” out of desperation and hardship it’s not quite the career choice of an entrepreneur with a camper van who’s registered her business and pays taxes.

i’m not saying that was the case. btw

@motorbiking

After reading up I now understand Child Benefit. Essentially where an EU citizen works and pays taxes that is where they can claim child benefit irrespective of where the children reside.

You mentioned lobbying - my point of view is clear - it should be outlawed as it undermines democratic institutions.
It isn't just lobbying, political parties being funded by private donations should be outlawed, there was a time when MP's were privately funded and this led to massive corruption, individual MP's are now publicly funded so why not their respective parties.

@vinty @motorbiking

I agree with Vinty. Parties should be publicly funded it aids democracy.

Disagree with you on that motorbiking. Parties should serve the public not their self interest or that if their donors.

Look at how funding in the US means big donors capture the party and the policies. Look at Rubio response post Florida shooting as he gets money from the NRA.

People will always find a way. whether its union fees or donations. Look at UKIP's abuse/use of EU funding. Under a publicly funded model organisations like the NRA would probably get funding.

On what basis do you fund? Number of MP's share of vote? Don't parties serve their members, who pay membership fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back