Theresa's great victory

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I was listening to Pob Gove on the radio, boasting that Theresa had won a fantastic victory by tough negotiating to get herself out of the disastrous position she's achieved by neglecting to get the agreement of her DUP allies, or the government of the Republic of Ireland.

It appears that her great victory consists in surrendering to both her DUP allies, and the government of the Republic of Ireland.

Regulations in NI will be aligned to EU regulations, so we will continue to obey rules that we have given up our ability to help set. The rest of the UK will be follow the same rules as NI. So there will be an open border from the EU into the UK for the free movement of people, money, goods and services.

I can't help wondering, if we are going to obey EU rules, and if we are going to have open borders with the EU, what we have been wasting our time with. All we've done is to give up our voice in the debating chamber and committee rooms, and give up our vote.

Is David Davies a waste of oxygen?

Sponsored Links
I was listening to Pob Gove on the radio, boasting that Theresa had won a fantastic victory by tough negotiating to get herself out of the disastrous position she's achieved by neglecting to get the agreement of her DUP allies, or the government of the Republic of Ireland.

It appears that her great victory consists in surrendering to both her DUP allies, and the government of the Republic of Ireland.

Regulations in NI will be aligned to EU regulations, so we will continue to obey rules that we have given up our ability to help set. The rest of the UK will be follow the same rules as NI. So there will be an open border from the EU into the UK for the free movement of people, money, goods and services.

I can't help wondering, if we are going to obey EU rules, and if we are going to have open borders with the EU, what we have been wasting our time with. All we've done is to give up our voice in the debating chamber and committee rooms, and give up our vote.
Is David Davies a waste of oxygen?
Additionally, the rest of normal government business has been ignored.
To much bandwidth wasted on Brexit.

As I've worked throughout the european countries and Norway that always was and is my POV. We end up paying in (I'd guess the same as what we pay now) but no longer have any voice at the debating table...

The people I worked with in Norway always thought they where worse off paying in but unable to influce the rulers in Brussels (or Strasburg depend on which day of the month)!

funnily enough, back in December, the Torygraph was saying that this wasn't a proper Brexit

"David Davis, the Brexit Secretary, said that any alignment 
between the north and south in Ireland would apply to the whole of the UK, which Leave supporters interpreted as Britain remaining yoked to the EU.

One Cabinet source said: “It seems that either Northern Ireland is splitting from the rest of the UK or we are headed for high alignment with the EU, which certainly hasn’t been agreed by Cabinet. The Prime Minister is playing a risky game.”"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...sa-may-warned-will-face-leadership-challenge/

Well-known anti-EU campaigners are moaning already
"Nigel Farage, the former Ukip leader, was less complimentary, saying the breakthrough meant it was now time to “move on to the next stage of humiliation”.

Likewise, the founder of the Leave.EU movement, Arron Banks, said: “It’s confirmed, Theresa May has betrayed the country and the 17.4 million leave voters.”

Banks said that “this traitorous, lily-livered embarrassment of a prime minister” had overseen “the biggest sell-out of this country” since Edward Heath took the UK into the EU in 1973.

“Full regulatory alignment with the internal market and customs union? We may as well just bend over and allow the European Union to have its way with us for years to come,” said Banks.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/08/michael-gove-hails-theresa-may-brexit-deal
"“Pledging to honour financial commitments beyond 2020? Brussels would have been lucky had we agreed to honour them up until March 2019.

“Under Theresa May, we are leaving the European Union in name only. If anyone in the Conservative party has any integrity or sense of duty left, we call on them now to save Brexit by triggering a leadership contest. Tory backbenchers, get writing to the 1922 Committee and help save your country. She has got to go.” "

Sponsored Links

This actually had nothing to do with the DUP; there was someone on R4 the other morning saying that although the DUP were complaining, this particular question came under majority voting, so it was the EU that were using the DUP as an excuse not to go further. NI is part of the UK, so can't stop things progressing, and it would have to have been The ROI that needed to object to the border arrangements, not the DUP.

Is David Davies a waste of oxygen

Possibly; although I will say that if there was a sufficient majority, we might have got a better result. as it stands, it's crap - but that's not to say that it will still go through.

Well they certainly don't seem to understand the concept very well do they. Not sure how long before the cracks appear, and we do go to the country.

You have to laugh, May has sabotaged Brexit and inadvertently the Daily Mail headline was actually truthful.

58f7047314000049001b5066.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back