Power shower Not working / no hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I noticed my power shower stopped working the other day so I decided to take a bath instead, however, I noticed my hot water was not coming on either.

I use an immersion heater only, have no gas in the house.

The immersion heater is connected to a timer plug (as I have economy 7) which has a LED light to show when it is on, the light isn't coming on when I switch to override (so I assume this lack of power is the fault?)

Does anyone have any thoughts I can try today before I call an electrician out when I get paid as my Mrs is pregnant and needs a bath.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should add that when I say power shower isn't working, no water is coming out at all

Sponsored Links
The power shower I have used has always given water out even when there was no power to unit although rather a trickle.

When no heating on it only gave out water from the hot system which of course would be cold.

So the first thing to come to mind is a water problem rather than electric although lack of water in cylinder would have likely then caused an electric problem afterwards.

Some power showers may not allow water through when not powered but number one thing is to ensure you have water in system.

Either way likely the immersion heater has a problem. It is very easy to damage the tank when changing especially in a hard water area. And many electricians will not change them. You may be better off with a heating engineer who will likely work on both water and electric. Ask when you phone if they will work on both.

But if water is not blocked by lime or something then checking the consumer unit you may find it has just tripped. But it tripped and it will not re-set then likely again fault at the immersion heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back