Power shower wiring

It's only a step up if it's tested properly........He needs an electrician full stop.........and should not be doing it himself and should definately not be told to do it himself.......

No one has told him what to do, he came onto a DIY forum seeking advice and help to install an RCD.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses guys.
If I did get an electrician in to quote for replacing the whole fusebox, would that commit me to have the work done?
Harry, you mention that an electrician may condemn the installation. Would he have the same power, as a gas engineer for example, to force me to have the work done?

Thanks for your responses guys.
If I did get an electrician in to quote for replacing the whole fusebox, would that commit me to have the work done?
Harry, you mention that an electrician may condemn the installation. Would he have the same power, as a gas engineer for example, to force me to have the work done?

A quote is just a quote, which you can accept or reject.

No, they cannot normally force you to have the work done, what they can do is refuse to do any work without the installation being brought up to date, dependent on what is found.

Many installations in the UK would not meet current standards (IEE Regs), because the standards change every few years. Current standards are not applied retrospectively.

There is nothing wrong with fuses and old fuse-boxes and no reason per se to condemn it because of that.

There is some very dubious so-called advice being put forward.

Sponsored Links
No one has told him what to do, he came onto a DIY forum seeking advice and help to install an RCD.
It reads as if this is an old installation, which an electrician might condemn. My attitude is a more intended to being sympathetic towards an new owner who is possibly short of cash. Better that he makes low cost, but a major improvement to electrical safety, than none because he cannot afford a full rewire.
You were saying......

Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to bite the bullet and get a new consumer unit and electrical safety test. The guy was recommended to me and popped round to size the job up. He reckons it's a straightforward swap over and that there's probably nothing wrong with the wiring and that, even if there are some faults, they would probably be 'advisory'.
£400 to supply and fit a 10-way board (including some water pipe earthing required) and £200 for the electrical inspection test.
Hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run.
Thanks all, once again.

Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to bite the bullet and get a new consumer unit and electrical safety test. The guy was recommended to me and popped round to size the job up. He reckons it's a straightforward swap over and that there's probably nothing wrong with the wiring and that, even if there are some faults, they would probably be 'advisory'.
£400 to supply and fit a 10-way board (including some water pipe earthing required) and £200 for the electrical inspection test.
Hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run.
Thanks all, once again.
I’d suggest you get a couple more quotes. You may save a few quid. I’d be wary of any electrician leading with a statement that you will probably just have a few ‘advisory’ faults. Did he mention notification to your
LABC?

Do you really think £600 is reasonable for a CU change in a flat?
That's not what was quoted.

It clearly states periodic inspection and testing of the electrical installation in addition to replacement of the distribution board, ergo there are two separate jobs in this.

I am able to read and also saw the following as 2 jobs.
( £400 to supply and fit a 10-way board (including some water pipe earthing required) and £200 for the electrical inspection test. )

For a flat, the 2 jobs separate costs are reasonable. I'd say £400 is steep for a change, after paying £200 for the EICR (which puts the required test results in the sparks hand). Unless this is a huge flat, a total of £600 seems excessive and I would say recommending the OP gets at least 3 quotes is sound advice.

As for not knowing what may be unearthed, that's what the £200 pays for. If the EICR throws up anything nasty, then a conversation takes place.

£400 he was actually quoted for the CU and we have little idea of what might be involved.
The guy was recommended to me by a friend, and when he came to quote, he spent a half hour doing a visual inspection. Dunno about LABC, but he did say he'd give me a certificate. He said the board change would be straightforward, without the need to extend any of the cables. The flat is in one of the outer London boroughs. Is £400 to supply and fit a 10 way board excessive then? I must admit I did not get any further quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back