Power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a shower and a pump, please could some one let me know how I would wire up the pump, the instructions says use a switched spur fused at 5amps, does this mean that I need to use a spur from the lighting ring rather than the main ring for the sockets.?

Sponsored Links
No - not off the lights - or off any immersion heater circuit near by either.

They mean you use a Fuse Connection Unit (FCU) off your ring with a 5a fuse in it.

Is the pump to be located in the bathroom? If so there are lots of other electrical precautions you will need to take, including supplemental bonding and a 30ma RCD.

There are a few plumbing precautions you consider as well - fit isolator gate valves, consider Y strainers to stop crud being sucked from coldwater tank, air locks in the pipe work and nuisance running due to back flow.

Thanks, for you advice, on the matter of y strainers , what are these, some filters came with the pump which is placed on the inlets to the pump will these sufffice. How important is the earth bonding as the pump will be placed under the bath?
cheers :D

You like to make this complicated:-

1) If the pump is under the bath and behind panels that can only be removed with a tool it is outside the zones. Otherwise you should seriously consider another location.
2) The FCU cannot be located under the bath as you need an accessible method of isolating it. The FCU will need to be place outside the bathroom. A cable connector might be needed under the bath to link the switched spur to the pump flex.
3) The pump spur supply cable cannot be surface run through any zone to get to under the bath. (Obviously the normal permitted route rules also apply)
4) You should have the pump on an RCD with a 30ma trip. (You could use a FCU with an RCD it you don’t have one in the CU). [I believe it not mandatory if its outside the zones but none the less best and safest practice]
5) Supplemental bonding is complex. If however you have only copper pipes then all pipe work in the bathroom must be bonded together. This is important because if the pump develops a fault it could raise the voltage in the pipes to the shower and create a pd with other conductive surfaces. {The pump does not need itself to be wired into the bonding as its outside the zones and cannot be touched. – others may disagree with this though)

On the plumbing front Y strainers are filters. Most modern pumps have a mesh on their input pipes, but these are often hard to reach and clean once installed under a bath. – Y strainers allow you to put a filter in a more convenient place. The pumps can literally suck any sediment out of your cistern blocking the filters and straining the pump. Ask at any plumber’s merchant about them. The pump will also need to stand upright under the bath with no kinks in the flexible pipes they don’t last so long on their sides.

Sponsored Links
Most pumps are designed to push rather than pull water, so fitting them as near to the base of your hot water cylinder is usually recommended in the instructions.

Fitting it under a bath will work, but they publish these instructions for a reason, so if you can fit it accessibly in your airing cupboard I would go for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back