Power steering fluid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting different quotes for a litre of PS fluid. I can see it costs about £5, but some places are asking £15. Apparently this is different to the standard red stuff i have been using.

I need to top up my 15 y/o fluid reserve more regular then usual as i think i have some seals gone.

Anyway does anyone know what the difference between the cheap and expensive product is and is it worth going expensive ?

Sponsored Links
if you have a 15 year old car, it will not have been designed to use the latest technology.

What make and model is it?

You can look up oil manufacturers' tecommendations on websites like
https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oi...0bWwjL2diL2VuLWdiL3NlYXJjaD9jYXRlZ29yeT1jYXJz

though they like to guide you towards the most expensive option.

If you can find the car manufacturer's handbook at home or online, it will tell you what grade was recommended when it was built.

Last edited:
Use the likes of Millers Oil website, using your car's reg, to get a quote for PS fluid you need.

A couple of years ago, I replaced the PS fluid on a 2007 KA and got x2 1L of the fluid I needed at the local AP branch.

Thanks

I went on the recommendation of the local car spares place. It was £10 for a litre. I didnt get the cheaper red stuff. I have used this previously and i reckon it has caused issues with the seals. Pretty sure i need a new power steer mechanism longer term, but really i need a new van :)

So i will limp on currently. Everything else is fine on it.

Hoping i win the tool station van competition this january !!

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking, your PAS fluid will be either red or green (amber) maybe......the red stuff is suitable for auto transmissions too, whereas the other is not. This Pentosin (I think thats what its called) is not suitable for auto boxes but is particularly suitable for PAS where it deals with the extreme of temperatures better than the red stuff.
If the fluid is brown, then change it but if its leaking then it may be just steering rack bellows that need replacing......its worth finding where the leak is.
John :)

My cars just need red ATF

I bought a bottle several years ago and have never needed any.

You only need to top the fluid up if there is a leak, naturally enough.....there’s also no oil change interval that Im aware of but if the fluid has turned brown then its overheated at some time - if its black then there is some oil seal debris present.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back