Power to drill but doesn't work

Sponsored Links
Where are the brushes on the drill please?
The brushes are the carbon blocks than connect power to the rotor. They press against the commutator, which is the segmented copper ring at the left hand end of the rotor (the bit that spins!) They are pressed against the commutator by the springs that push them into the brush holder

The connections to the brushes are shown in SUNRAY's post with the white line. If you don't get any continuity between those points ( turn the drill by hand whilst you check) then it's likely the brushes are worn or jammed in their holders, thus not making contact.

drillburshes.jpg

I personally have found the biggest failure in my powertools is the cable breaks as it enters the tool, with only one due to brushes - but that I put down to it having sucked in loads of brick dust. Others seem to have brush issues.
I've always made the assumption it's to do with the way the tools are used and abused.
Op has already replied with
So between the two white wires I got 0ohms well 00.6 is that close enough. I can't get a reading in the live and neutral incoming I think I'd need to pull the wires out.
It could be the fault of course but I take to be a good sign.

As this is an 110v drill, has the OP confirmed there is output from the 110 transformer yet, with a meter? He should see 110v between the two poles, 55v between each of the poles and the earth connection at the 110v socket.

Sponsored Links
It's about 8 years old but hasn't had much use at all. Because I got Ohms at the white connections. This suggests the bushes are ok?

As this is an 110v drill, has the OP confirmed there is output from the 110 transformer yet, with a meter? He should see 110v between the two poles, 55v between each of the poles and the earth connection at the 110v socket.
I don't think I have done that yet

When and how did it stop working? Maybe the motor is burnt out. Take motor out and follow youtube diagnostic videos for checking motor using multimeter.

It just stopped working one day when I tried it. It hasn't had much use at all in 8 years. No real heavy use. Was used maybe 5 times a year.

I'll repeat this:
I personally have found the biggest failure in my powertools is the cable breaks as it enters the tool,

and suggest the continuity tests on the mains lead are easier than motor diagnosis.

no, test between the blue wire and the N pin of plug, then, test between brown wire and L pin of plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back