Power to drill but doesn't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone have an idea why this boss 110v drill may have stopped working. I have taken apart to see if was a loose connection but can't notice any thing. I have had a volt stick near it and it picking up power all the way through. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG20231008182346.jpg
    IMG20231008182346.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Then use that for testing voltage. A voltage stick can show static charge as well as mains voltage. An electrician I was working with said he put one on a wooden coffee table and it lit up.

Are the brushes free to move in their holders and making contact with the commutator?

In that case as a starting point do continuity measurements and look for 0Ω (zero ohms) across the three points shown as lines in brown. blue and white:

1696791440802.png

By that I mean put one probe at each end of the line.

OF COURSE IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT SUCH TESTS ARE DONE WITH POWER OFF/NOT PLUGGED IN.

Sorry just realised this is 110V so it'll be a yellow plug.

Reactions: CBW
In that case as a starting point do continuity measurements and look for 0Ω (zero ohms) across the three points shown as lines in brown. blue and white:

View attachment 316379
By that I mean put one probe at each end of the line.

OF COURSE IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT SUCH TESTS ARE DONE WITH POWER OFF/NOT PLUGGED IN.
Thanks so I test continuity at these points without the power on?

So between the two white wires I got 0ohms well 00.6 is that close enough. I can't get a reading in the live and neutral incoming I think I'd need to pull the wires out.

So between the two white wires I got 0ohms well 00.6 is that close enough.
Good, that points to the brushes being OK.
I can't get a reading in the live and neutral incoming I think I'd need to pull the wires out.
Try a dress makers pin or something similar to reach the metal contact beside the wire, avoid removing them unless you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back