power tool safety

I’m a newbie when it comes to certain DIY tasks. My biggest concern was using a circular saw. I asked on here. I watched youtube videos on how to use them safely. Using the circular saw was quite easy but it’s having the confidence to use it correctly because you know how to use the tool safely that’s important.

Sponsored Links
I watched youtube videos on how to use them safely.
Problem is, how do you know that what you saw on YouTube was safe? Speaking as a trained carpenter and joiner I have to say that some of the "recommended" procedures I've seen on there are toe curling to say the least

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently made some 1m tapered dowels using a knocked up jig, bench saw with guard removed, and rotating the timber with a cordless.

I could not have done it in the nanny state, as its far too dangerous, and would still be there now with a spokeshave and cramp.

So does that mean you are saying that it's OK to use a dangerous technique simply because you can't be arsed to figure out a safe way to do something? :confused:

Sponsored Links
So does that mean you are saying that it's OK to use a dangerous technique simply because you can't be arsed to figure out a safe way to do something? :confused:
No it means we don't need a nanny to tell us that tools are are dangerous. And if we listen to nannies, nothing ever gets done.

A nanny wouldn't have sent three men to the moon 50 years ago. Far too dangerous.

I use angle grinders almost daily and it's very easy to become complacent, I always treat it with respect and always unplug between disc changes!.

Same at home, I've used a hand held circular saw a few times, that thing is terrifying if you think of the consequences of it hitting a limb etc. Think being weary of using it is actually a bonus as you take more time making sure everything is as safe as can be.

I haven't used a chainsaw and more than likely never will, all the cutting/ pruning I've had to do I've found a Sawzal/ reciprocating saw more than good enough..

Even when using the wood shredder, if it ever gets clogged up I make sure the plug is removed from the socket before going anywhere near the cover!.

Same with jacking cars, I'm ott with axle stands but last thing you want is to get crushed repairing your own car, I've *******ed friends before laying under cars without properly supporting them first (even slinging wheel under the cill is better than nowt!).

I've spent a considerable amount on tools to repair our home, saying every diy'er buys rubbish is quite a poor statement really. My DeWalt Lithium combi drill was £250 10 years ago and still going strong.

No it means we don't need a nanny to tell us that tools are are dangerous. And if we listen to nannies, nothing ever gets done.
But surely many beginners do need good advice on safe practice, don't they? Or did you come into the trade with all your knowledge gifted in your genes? Many tradesmen will admit that in doing work there is an element of risk - but that risk is limited by a combination of safe practice, training and experience and not the application of "common sense" is it not? DIYers don't have those advantages

Oh, and space race - military rockets, military pilots, etc. I somehow don't think that anything military is intrinsically safe in the way you expect the Airbus taking you on holiday to be, so perhaps not a valid comparison

I've used a hand held circular saw a few times, that thing is terrifying if you think of the consequences of it hitting a limb etc. Think being wary of using it is actually a bonus as you take more time making sure everything is as safe as can be.

I haven't used a chainsaw and more than likely never will, all the cutting/ pruning I've had to do I've found a Sawzal/ reciprocating saw more than good enough..
Power saws don't frighten me at all - but I am nonetheless wary of them. I use two or three different circular saws daily at the moment with the most commonly used one being a 9in 1800 watt brute. With something as big as that the shear size and weight tend to make you naturally wary. Our chop saw is more of a concern as I've nicked myself a couple of times on them over the years when the blade guard hung up and I didn't notice (leaving a spinning blade exposed). Each time it was at least partly down to inattention combined with tiredness. Funnily enough, though, I think it's the little 165mm cordless I tend to use more like a handsaw that should possibly concern me more; I use it so regularly that I think there's a natural tendency to get blase about it. As it happen the most worrying saw we use at the moment (for cutting out timbers) isn't a circular saw - it's an alligator saw. It looks as though is might do you a nasty even before you switch it on! But prize for the maddest saw-using b'stard I ever worked with must go to a crazy Pole we had on one job years back whose party trick was to trim roofing timbers in situ - with a chain saw. Somehow I've never managed to get that "brave"......

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with common sense is that there's no such thing - sense in any form isn't really that common!

Despite many folk moaning about HSE, the accident rates at work have dramatically fallen since it's introduction, I'll dig some stats up if you like. Me, I use a fairly general rule of thumb (not being trained) and that is keep your body out of the path of when things kick back or slip, worked so far.

Despite many folk moaning about HSE, the accident rates at work have dramatically fallen since it's introduction
Tell me about it.

For the past several years, all our contractors have reported 100% accident free sites on the KPI reports since it became a performance target.

Amazing. Bloody amazing. :cautious:

I use angle grinders almost daily and it's very easy to become complacent, I always treat it with respect and always unplug between disc changes!.

Same at home, I've used a hand held circular saw a few times, that thing is terrifying if you think of the consequences of it hitting a limb etc. Think being weary of using it is actually a bonus as you take more time making sure everything is as safe as can be.

Even when using the wood shredder, if it ever gets clogged up I make sure the plug is removed from the socket before going anywhere near the cover!.

Same with jacking cars, I'm ott with axle stands but last thing you want is to get crushed repairing your own car, I've *******ed friends before laying under cars without properly supporting them first (even slinging wheel under the cill is better than nowt!).

I've spent a considerable amount on tools to repair our home, saying every diy'er buys rubbish is quite a poor statement really. My DeWalt Lithium combi drill was £250 10 years ago and still going strong.
Think I've spent the last 50 years doing the complete opposite to you, must be a bloody miracle that i'm still as fit as a butchers dog

I still reckon one that must result in a fair few casualties is using your (inefficient) hand as a clamp.. that's asking for trouble.

A nanny wouldn't have sent three men to the moon 50 years ago. Far too dangerous.

But so long as the guards are in place and they wore the PPE they were issued then, I'm sure a risk assessment was carried out too to reduce the risk from significant/high down to low which allowed them go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back