power usage and cost advice for 15kw

Maybe I should have wrote it will consume 15kw for an hour
Maybe - but what BAS shouldn't have done was to say that there was 'no time component' in the rate of energy consumption - which is clearly incorrect! The clue is in the word 'rate' :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Maybe - but what BAS shouldn't have done was to say that there was 'no time component' in the rate of energy consumption - which is clearly incorrect! The clue is in the word 'rate' :)
OK - what is the time dimension in a rate of consumption of 15kW please?

OK - what is the time dimension in a rate of consumption of 15kW please?
Usually seconds. 15kW = 15 kJ/second

Or, if you preferred, 15 kWh/h :)

More generally, Power = Energy/Time. Energy = Power * Time. But you kinow all this - you just typed a bit hastily, as we all sometimes do!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
seriously, i thought it was simple question.
It was a simple question (both your questions were simple questions) - people are just getting a bit silly/'clever'/'teasing' because you used the wrong units.

Taking the important, second, question first - the first two responses you got gave you an answer. If the 15kW heater is on 'full' continuusly (i.e. not being switched on and off by a thermostat) then, if one assumes a commercial cost of about 10p per unit, then the 15 kW heater will cost about £1.50 per hour to run.

As for your first question, a 15 kW heater (again, assuming it runs continuously at 'full blast') will consume 15 kWh (kilowatt-hours), aka 15 'units', every hour (not "15kW per hour" as you wrote, which is what resulted in all the 'teasing').

It that clearer, or simpler?

Kind Regards, John

seriously, i thought it was simple question.
It was a simple question (both your questions were simple questions) - people are just getting a bit silly/'clever'/'teasing' because you used the wrong units.

Taking the important, second, question first - the first two responses you got gave you an answer. If the 15kW heater is on 'full' continuusly (i.e. not being switched on and off by a thermostat) then, if one assumes a commercial cost of about 10p per unit, then the 15 kW heater will cost about £1.50 per hour to run.

As for your first question, a 15 kW heater (again, assuming it runs continuously at 'full blast') will consume 15 kWh (kilowatt-hours), aka 15 'units', every hour (not "15kW per hour" as you wrote, which is what resulted in all the 'teasing').

It that clearer, or simpler?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John.

So a simple reply to my answer at the start that 'AdrianUK' actually gave me is correct or tho i used the wrong term of not adding a 'h' to the end of a question.

If i was a spark that understood i would not of asked on a DIY forum. Why some users feel they have to complicate things i dont know.

Many thanks tho John and AdrianUK

Thanks John. So a simple reply to my answer at the start that 'AdrianUK' actually gave me is correct or tho i used the wrong term of not adding a 'h' to the end of a question.
That's about it!
If i was a spark that understood i would not of asked on a DIY forum. Why some users feel they have to complicate things i dont know.
I sympathise. However, it's the weekend, so I suppose some feel that a bit of 'playtime' is in order! In any event, I confess that I 'joined in' a bit, so I'm not without some blame :)
Many thanks tho John and AdrianUK
You're welcome.

Kind Regards, John

Ok - if you want to play semantics.

The load consumes 15kw. It is on for one hour. How long was it consuming 15kw ?
For 1 hour.

And I'm not "playing semantics", but the fact that you say that shows that you just don't get it at all.

Nobody is complicating anything.

15kW is no more equivalent to 15kWh than 30 miles is equivalent to 30mph.

You pay your electricity supplier for the kWh you use - surely it must make sense for you to know what it is you are buying?

But that missing 'h' is incredibly important, and it changes the whole nature of the property you are discussing.
Technically true - but this is a DIY forum and we all knew what he meant. It's perfectly reasonable and appropriate to point his error out to him, but not to 'play' with him.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back