Powered USB Hub & PC boot prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to use a powered 7 port hub on an XP machine but am having a problem.

If the hub is hot plugged in whilst Windows is up and running, then Windows locates it and it works fine. However, if the hub is already plugged in when PC is booted up, then PC hangs at BIOS. Only way to get out of this is to kill the power to the PC, remove the hub and power on PC again, then all is well.

It seems as if there is a conflict between the power supply coming from the hub and the BIOS of the PC. As a point, self powered hubs work fine on this PC.

I have read many posts about this but none give a complete solution except for maybe a BIOS update, but this is a Time PC, and they have gone bust so support is no longer available. The producer of the BIOS also give no end user support.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Graham81 said:
I am trying to use a powered 7 port hub on an XP machine but am having a problem.

If the hub is hot plugged in whilst Windows is up and running, then Windows locates it and it works fine. However, if the hub is already plugged in when PC is booted up, then PC hangs at BIOS. Only way to get out of this is to kill the power to the PC, remove the hub and power on PC again, then all is well.

It seems as if there is a conflict between the power supply coming from the hub and the BIOS of the PC. As a point, self powered hubs work fine on this PC.

I have read many posts about this but none give a complete solution except for maybe a BIOS update, but this is a Time PC, and they have gone bust so support is no longer available. The producer of the BIOS also give no end user support.

Any ideas appreciated.
read this page it may help?

http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_...BV_EngineID=ccciaddgiigehklcefeceihdffhdfkf.0

BIOS updates will be available from the motherboard manufacturer site. If you open the case and examine the board, you should be able to locate the model number. If you can find it, post it here and one of us should be able to identify it.

I believe the motherboard is a Mitac 8375P if this is of any help.

Sponsored Links
Graham81 said:
I believe the motherboard is a Mitac 8375P if this is of any help.

I thought that was a laptop?

It's been some time (no pun intended :D ) since i've seen one, but I thought Time used Gigabyte boards (Model number start GA-) or MSI (Model number MS-). It will be printed on the board, sometimes hidden between the white PCI slots

Yeah sorry your right that is the model of laptop, which makes it a pain to see what motherboard it is. Is there no other way of knowing without striping the thing apart?

The confusion is cos you said it was a TIME PC, so I assumed it was a desktop. My mistake :D

Try here for Mitac support. Fill in the product and model details.

Back