Powerflushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it that nearly every plumber that I contacted with a view to resolving an issue with my heating wanted to sell me a powerflush... is it money for old rope ?

I gather they hook up a pump, a waste pipe and run an acid based cleaner through the system at pressure in a bid to get all the crap out... But with an average quote of between £400 and £500, and no guarantee it will resolve the issue is it a rip off ? I could probably purchase enough copper pipe, fittings and radiators to replace all the old gear for not much more than that !

Malc

Sponsored Links
You can buy a bottle of cleaner for £15

Given that and a couple of afternoons work you can get quite a lot of the sediment out by running the system for 2 or 3 weeks.

When filling up again afterwards, a bottle of inhibitor will cost you about the same.

For another £100 or so you can add a Magnaclean and you will be amazed and gratified at how much sediment it traps.

If you do those two things there will quite likely not be enough left to bother with a powerflush. the Magnaclean will carry on trapping circulating sediment indefinitely, and it only takes a few minutes to empty.

If you later decide that you have too much money, there is nothing to stop you having a powerflush later.

Sponsored Links
A powerflush is a quick solution to most sludge problems and can be completed within a day.

Its usually possible to get the same results using mains pressure flushing but no chemicals.

Its also possible to get some improvement by the use of chemicals alone but that can take several weeks and is not always very effective.

The best power flushing firms will give a no-fix no-fee if they are confident in what they are doing.

Power flushing microbore is often NOT very effective and few firms will even undertake it at all on 8 mm!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back