Powering a 13A socket from a 30A supply

vsn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In preparation for installing a new gas hob (using a standard plug with
a 3A fuse) I need a 13A socket under the worktop.

There is currently a ceramic hob in its place, powered by
(what I believe to be) a 30A supply.

I need to install the socket ready for the gas hob commissioning,
but without disconnecting the ceramic hob, which will be in use in
the meantime.

What's the neatest way to do this?

Here's a picture of what's underneath the worktop at the moment.
The cable goes to the ceramic hob.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The normal way is the replace the cooker connection unit with a socket at the time when the hob is replaced.

Since it will likely come under Part P and to add a socket before the hob is disconnected would mean replacing the back box with a double to take both the cooker connection unit and 13A socket really it's a non starter.

I guess you could fit a socket the day before. And put a plug on the end of the hob cable.

Tape up the hob switches so only one is used in the mean time, so it don't blow the fuse in the plug.

One way if you can manage with one hob ring over night.

I need to install the socket ready for the gas hob commissioning,
but without disconnecting the ceramic hob, which will be in use in
the meantime.
Why can't you swap the outlet plate for a socket or switched FCU just before the guy(s) installing the gas hob arrive?

Sponsored Links
You don't give size of existing hob. My mothers domino hob (Two rings) is less than 13A but the previous hob (induction) was 32A. Clearly with less than 13A you can use the socket outlet and even if more than 13A if overloaded it would just blow the fuse. The only problem would arise if blowing the fuse stopped a cooling fan, and only induction hobs are likely to have cooling fans, and once you had an induction hob you would be hardly likely to down grade to gas, unless like my mother you had a old pace maker which did not have the required EMC rating.

I guess you could fit a socket the day before. And put a plug on the end of the hob cable.

Tape up the hob switches so only one is used in the mean time, so it don't blow the fuse in the plug.

One way if you can manage with one hob ring over night.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I was thinking of preparing the socket
long before the gas guys arrived, but it may have to be done this way.

The gas guys already said "we're not electricians" so it would probably
be up to me to disconnect the existing hob anyway.

... once you had an induction hob you would be hardly likely to down grade to gas ...

The problem with induction & ceramic hobs is that the surface is made of glass.
Which is the reason the ceramic hob is being replaced in the first place
(a bowl got dropped on it and it broke...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back