13A supply spurred off 32A socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, time for my second electrical question of the day..

I'm wiring up my new extension for a kitchen and I need to put in a 13A supply for a gas hob - I've placed a 32A socket for an extractor hood as part of my general power circuit and it's the nearest source to where I'll need to place the supply for the hob.

I was just wondering, can I spur off that in 2.5mm cable down to a 13A spur outlet for the hob?

Sponsored Links
It must be a big extractor fan if it needs a 32A supply too :eek:

What have you got there, how is it wired? Is it a socket/fused spur? Is it on a 2.5mm ring or a 4mm radial?

You want BA systems, do you wear a seat belt when cooking ?

DS

Sponsored Links
Perhaps this is the extractor fan?
electric-exhausting-ventilation-cooling-fan-19992847.jpg
:eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OK big extractor
cogemacoustic_pic1.jpg
but the question seems to be can one reduce cross sectional area?

I would think the 3 meter rule will likely come in?

Why does a gas hob need a 13A supply? The problem I would think is English and there is a huge difference in a 13A socket to a 13A supply.

It may seem I am being pedantic but "part of my general power circuit" could refer to a ring final or to a dedicated cooker supply.

One should not have a 32A socket on a ring final and in a house it is rare to have sockets for anything over 13A. OK commercial CEEFORM sockets do come in 16, 32 and 63 amp but not normally fitted in a domestic.

So try posting pictures or giving a better description.

Yes, and the fuse in the plug will be only 3A. The igniter will only need a minuscule amount of current to light up the gas.

So I think that a 13A supply is not what you really meant. :!:

There's a bit of Bank Holiday silliness being banded around regarding the fan (!)

But a regular kitchen fan won't need more than about 1 amp either.

Normally both those items would be supplied as spur(s) from a ring final, with a socket (3 amp plug), or FCU to provide protection.

Why does a gas hob need a 13A supply?
I was thinking about this and realised my gas hob is plugged into a 13a socket. Well, the gas side isn't but the igniter system is.

That is a fairly typical arrangement. Eric I think means the hob won't need anywhere near a 13a supply. A typical hob sparked would have a 3a fuse in the plug, and in reality draw ~0.03A

There's a bit of Bank Holiday silliness being banded around regarding the fan (!)
There is no getting away from this:

I've placed a 32A socket...
Nor that overall the OP does not give the impression that he is in any way competent to do circuit design work.

I'm wiring up my new extension for a kitchen
What did you say, or allow them to assume, would be the way you would ensure compliance with Part P?

If you do something other than that (and I find it hard to believe that they would have accepted you DIYing) then they will refuse to issue you a completion certificate.

I'm just running the cable, ready for electrician friend to make the connections and sign it off.

To clarify, I've got a 2.5mm circuit supplying all the power in the kitchen (except for the ovens), part of which is a single outlet for the extractor fan - this may not need 32A, but that's what I was told to install.

My gas hob certainly needs a 13A supply for the igniter. I'm trying to understand the best way to do this - I'm just a bit confused about if I can provide a 13A supply on a 32A circuit.

Thanks for your help so far.

My gas hob certainly needs a 13A supply for the igniter. I'm trying to understand the best way to do this - I'm just a bit confused about if I can provide a 13A supply on a 32A circuit.
Your terminology is all over the place so it seems as if you don't know what you are doing.

However, to be fair to you, and contrary to what is being said, sockets and cookers/ovens do indeed usually have a 32A supply.
It's just that that is not relevant to what you are doing.

If you have a 32A ring in your kitchen, and you have taken a spur off that to the fan, then you can't take another spur off the fan to the gas hob ign.

(in practice it would be fine, but the electrican shouldn't sign it off)

Find another double socket, and take a spur off that for the gas hob.

Alternatively if your oven outlet in near by (under the counter) you may be able to fit a single socket near that for the gas ign to plug into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back