Powering L.E.D. Wall Lights from the mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to work out if it's safe and possible to power a set of LED recessed wall lights plugged into the UK mains. I've never used LED lights before and I'm rather confused about the power conversion.

I think I understand that the power supply must be converted from AC to DC to power LED lights?

I have 4 x IP54 rated low voltage LED wall lights which came with all the cables and an LED driver. The driver seems to be aimed at connection to the light circuit so that the LED wall lights turn on with the flick of a light switch, but I want to install them in a custom made cabinet and power them from a simple main plug.

Would it be safe to wire a plug straight into the provided LED driver and plug them straight into the mains, or do they need to be connected to a different suitable transformer?

If it's not safe to wire a plug into the provided LED driver, I've found two transformers that might be suitable:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220569518211&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

A 12V 1A Power Supply AC Adapter for UK Plug which works with most LED Strips etc.

But I don't know if it's suitable for IP54 rated LED lights though?

or

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FL6064.html

12 Volt 12 watt DC Driver - 1000mA

But again, I'm not sure if it's suitable.

Can anyone shed some light (no pun intended!) on how I can safely power the LED lights using a UK plug into a standard UK plug socket. :confused: Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If, as you think, the kit is desihned to be connected to a 230V lighting circuit, then there's no reason in theory they cant be plugged into a socket circuit with a plug. But you need to be sure - aren't there any manufacturers installation instructions? Just an input voltage rating for the driver? Anything? Maybe post a link to the kit and folks on here will be able to help better. If they are designed for a 5A/6A lighting circuit and you plug them into a 30A/32A ring main, you may need to protect them with a 5A fuse in the plug - again unless the manufacturers instructions say something different.

Liam

Thanks Liam

I won't be able to get any more info until I get home to the packaging on the weekend, but I'll update with more information as soon as possible.

Sponsored Links
I'm almost definite that running these from a plug fitted with 3A fuse will be absolutely fine. If you can provide us with some information on the kit you've purchased then we'll be in a position to confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back