Powermax 155 Blending Valve

Yes I had moved the screw. The black cap moves freely, its actually really lose and doing nothing. Is it meant to be tight ?

I havent turned anything else, not sure what you mean by the brass spindle as I cant see one.

Looks to me its messed up and needs replacing which is a pain but if it cost me £90 (part p757) to be able to have hot water for the first time in nearly 4 years then Im kinda happy.

Sponsored Links
Hi

First post and first time on the site, so please bear with me.

I have lived in my house for about 4 years and had terrible hot water. I will get about 30 seconds of it then cold. I have a powermax 155 boiler.
I have been reading and only thing I can find which is causing the lack of hot water is the blending valve. I have ordered one and cost about £88.

Can anyone tell me how long it would take to replace the part and roughly how much it would cost ?

I live in Rainham, Kent.

I hope this works as the mrs is wanting a bath !!

Thanks
Christian

Hi
You will more lightly find the coil is scaled up and will need to be descaled. As the thermal store hot water heats your hot water supply this is the fastest way to make scale which the powermax does very well. when you are descaling the coil you can put the old mixer valve in the ds3 to clean it. If you have the later 155 you will have a heat exchanger which you can't descale and only replace

It would have to be a serious amount of scale to stop that thermal store from transfering heat.

And the BG engineers that said they dont work on them is balls. Many guys are scared of them but if they did the job properly in the 1st place then they wouldnt get in trouble. I go to so many powermaxs that others have said they arent qualified to work on :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
does this boiler have a flow switch that starts a pump to transfer more hot water to satsify hot water demand.i could be wrong probaly many different powermaxs around.

i am just a lay man i blame the drink.

Hi

First post and first time on the site, so please bear with me.

I have lived in my house for about 4 years and had terrible hot water. I will get about 30 seconds of it then cold. I have a powermax 155 boiler.
I have been reading and only thing I can find which is causing the lack of hot water is the blending valve. I have ordered one and cost about £88.

Can anyone tell me how long it would take to replace the part and roughly how much it would cost ?

I live in Rainham, Kent.

I hope this works as the mrs is wanting a bath !!

Thanks
Christian

Hi
You will more lightly find the coil is scaled up and will need to be descaled. As the thermal store hot water heats your hot water supply this is the fastest way to make scale which the powermax does very well. when you are descaling the coil you can put the old mixer valve in the ds3 to clean it. If you have the later 155 you will have a heat exchanger which you can't descale and only replace

It would have to be a serious amount of scale to stop that thermal store from transfering heat.

And the BG engineers that said they dont work on them is balls. Many guys are scared of them but if they did the job properly in the 1st place then they wouldnt get in trouble. I go to so many powermaxs that others have said they arent qualified to work on :rolleyes:

where i live there is a whole est with powermax 155 and they need to be descaled about every 18 months to 2 years. But i will say if you don't descale them correctly it will only last about 3 months. you need to keep the ds3 going for a few hours for a good clean. These boilers are potterton but was not design by potterton it was a company they bought out and had to maintain them. If you are still not sure remove the mixer valve and cap the cold feed to it then connect the hot side of the valve(coil side) to the mixed side and your find the flow is very poor

probaly not a job for heateam as descaling is required.
thest beast of a boiler are usually in newish build 1990,s developments if yours is ask your neighbours for local corgi powermax happy engineer.

yeah thats right heateam don't do scale and BG don't either. These boilers are around 15yrs old and we do lots of the descales up here :LOL:

Forget scale, just stick to changing the blending valve.

These boilers are potterton but was not design by potterton it was a company they bought out and had to maintain them.

Incorrect statement.

These boilers are potterton but was not design by potterton it was a company they bought out and had to maintain them.

Incorrect statement.

Really, see my understanding has always been that the powermax including the 155 and 155x where designed by Range and where taken over by Potterton JUST as the powermax HE was about to be released or within its very early days, and that always seems to be the favourite excuss with them even if you visit baxi is we didn't design it we just brought it.

You learn something new everyday

I was being pedantic, Powermax and Potterton are brand names, owned by Baxi

How would you got about "descaling" the boiler.
Im replacing the part "P757" later on today but for completness I would like to descale the boiler.

How do you put the DS3 in the boiler or does that sound thick ?

Thanks for all your replies very much appreciated. You have put my faith back in plumbers.

Incorrect statement.

Really, see my understanding has always been that the powermax including the 155 and 155x where designed by Range and where taken over by Potterton JUST as the powermax HE was about to be released or within its very early days, and that always seems to be the favourite excuss with them even if you visit baxi is we didn't design it we just brought it.

You learn something new everyday

That may well be true i was just going by what the potterton sale rep told me. And yes i have visited potterton and they did say they did buy the powermax. I must descale 20 powermax boilers a year because of the hard water area but don't replace that many mixer valves just a few a year

I was being pedantic, Powermax and Potterton are brand names, owned by Baxi

baxpoti - Now i am disappointed i thought i was going to learn something new :) no that went straight over my head, but now i get what you mean.

Ok I have changed the blending valve. Well I didnt, I got a corgi qual. plumber.
Boiler is running fin but the temp of the water is still luke warm.

Is there anyway I can turn the temp up ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back