Powermax 155 may need coil descaling -help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a power max 155 open vented system
system. BG replaced the blending valve as I had tepid low flow hot water from taps and shower. The New valve made no difference to the temperature or the flow. BG says the coil in the tank is full of scale and the part is obsolete. I called Baxi and they confirm. My central heating is perfect. I am reading I may benefit from descaling the coil. Can anyone suggest if this is possible. Costs. Or any other details. Thanks for your suggestions

Sponsored Links
And how would you go about it if I told you? Get rid of it.

if your heating is fine I would doubt it was the coil , I would be looking at the plate heat exchanger , it is most likely blocked but to be honest its not really something you can sort your self and to be honest again a lot of heating engineers dont have much experience of these and others are **** scared of them for some reason, they are covered by Baxi now , not sure if they would do a fixed price repair on these, you would be better getting someone local that knows these beasts, be prepared to replace the isolating valves too if it is the plate heat exchanger and dont be surprised if you get hit with a bill for about £100 to fill with inhibitor to correct strength at the same time, it can be repaired but you would be better putting the money towards a replacement if you can afford it

Sponsored Links
if your heating is fine I would doubt it was the coil , I would be looking at the plate heat exchanger , it is most likely blocked but to be honest its not really something you can sort your self and to be honest again a lot of heating engineers dont have much experience of these and others are s**t scared of them for some reason, they are covered by Baxi now , not sure if they would do a fixed price repair on these, you would be better getting someone local that knows these beasts, be prepared to replace the isolating valves too if it is the plate heat exchanger and dont be surprised if you get hit with a bill for about £100 to fill with inhibitor to correct strength at the same time, it can be repaired but you would be better putting the money towards a replacement if you can afford it

This model does not have Phex.

OP the way I read your post was that you have a Range Powermax 155 and if this is the case then my advice is correct, if not please accept my apologies as I dont have any experience of any other powermax 155

OP the way I read your post was that you have a Range Powermax 155 and if this is the case then my advice is correct, if not please accept my apologies as I dont have any experience of any other powermax 155

Hello Iancmd, Thanks for the reply. I have a powermax 155. I am still looking for the best option to fix this moster. powerflush-descale, etc

Thanks

if your heating is fine I would doubt it was the coil , I would be looking at the plate heat exchanger , it is most likely blocked but to be honest its not really something you can sort your self and to be honest again a lot of heating engineers dont have much experience of these and others are s**t scared of them for some reason, they are covered by Baxi now , not sure if they would do a fixed price repair on these, you would be better getting someone local that knows these beasts, be prepared to replace the isolating valves too if it is the plate heat exchanger and dont be surprised if you get hit with a bill for about £100 to fill with inhibitor to correct strength at the same time, it can be repaired but you would be better putting the money towards a replacement if you can afford it

This model does not have Phex.

Well here is a picture of the plate heat exchanger that according to Gas2air your unit doesnt have, as already said if your heating is fine then the coil is fine and you will find this plate heat exchanger is blocked.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/powermax-...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2ecf97e995

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Does the pump run that pumps hot water through the heat exchanger when there is a demand for domestic hot water ?
I am not referring to the CH pump that pumps water through the radiators as, from your comments, this is obviously OK.

andytw

As I recall the 155x is the one with the plate heat exc. The 155 has the internal coil system of hot water exchange the same as the old Boilermate.
Descaling the internals of the HW coil on the 155 has only limited effect, and you should consider replacing the system. You could contact Baxi and ask for a recommendation on descaling.

Seems this is hinging around whether it has a plate HE or not. A photograph of the internals would be worthwhile.

andytw

A heating coil on that kind of thermal store can usually be successfully descaled using the right chemicals.

But that is messy and few engineers want to get involved with cleaning them.

In any case that boiler is old and potentially dangerous and well overdue for replacement.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back