No Hot water !! Powermax 155

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Powermax 155 boiler approx 6 yr old - We only get hot water for about a minute then turns cold was told it might need descaling but we have a a good flow of water. No one wants to touch the boiler themselves but I have been offered the following advice and don't no what to try !

Descale the system

Fit a waterwave on the boiler first to break down scale then fix to cold water pipe

Change blender valve

We also have a combi care unit under the sink that has never been changed by previous owners.

Any help much appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
hi couple of things it could be firstly i woul change the blender or at least try and adjust it secondly make sure the thermostat for the heat store is working ok and then if still playing up check the plate h/exch !!

if the unit is under 5 years old i would call potterton as they will do a call out fee which includes all parts for £170 inc vat :LOL:

gazthepottertonengineer said:
hi couple of things it could be firstly i woul change the blender or at least try and adjust it secondly make sure the thermostat for the heat store is working ok and then if still playing up check the plate h/exch !!

if the unit is under 5 years old i would call potterton as they will do a call out fee which includes all parts for £170 inc vat :LOL:

Thanks for the advice, I have checked and the boiler is over the five years unfortunately !! Thanks for letting me know it is a Potterton boiler though as I didn't even know the manufacturer so I am going to try and get on to them. Would it be best to get someone to do the valve first before I get (s'cuse me for bein dumb) the 'magnetic thing' fitted ??

Is the water hot in the cylinder (just have a quick feel under the insulation) or is it a problem with the boiler not firing up at all?

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
Is the water hot in the cylinder (just have a quick feel under the insulation) or is it a problem with the boiler not firing up at all?

Yes the water is hot and it comes out of one tap downstairs scalding but all the others it only comes out boiling for about 2 mins ! Heating works fine aswell :rolleyes:

Nickiejc said:
ollski said:

Yes the water is hot and it comes out of one tap downstairs scalding but all the others it only comes out boiling for about 2 mins ! Heating works fine aswell :rolleyes:

Well if your temperature and flow rate are in line with the manufacturer's instructions from the scalding hot tap then there is no problem with the boiler. If it's because that tap has a low flow rate wheras all the others are at a higher flow rate then suspect a scaling problem.

ollski said:
Nickiejc said:
ollski said:

Well if your temperature and flow rate are in line with the manufacturer's instructions from the scalding hot tap then there is no problem with the boiler. If it's because that tap has a low flow rate wheras all the others are at a higher flow rate then suspect a scaling problem.

All the taps in the house flow fast. Someone said it was a scaling problem (and we are in a v.hard water area)and another said that it wasn't as the water runs fast and they think I should have the valve changed as it may only be letting a small amount of hot water through then just cold....also I have had three plumbers round now and nobody wants to do the job ?!?!?!

Nickiejc said:
All the taps in the house flow fast. Someone said it was a scaling problem (and we are in a v.hard water area)and another said that it wasn't as the water runs fast and they think I should have the valve changed as it may only be letting a small amount of hot water through then just cold....also I have had three plumbers round now and nobody wants to do the job ?!?!?!

If one tap off the boiler works correctly at the flow rate and temperature rise it should be (you will need to measure them), then the boiler is fine. If it is the blending valve it will do it on all taps. powermaxes are horrible, I wouldn't work on them if i didn't have to.....one where it is worth getting the manufacturers in at a fixed fee.

:LOL: I am going to check them all when I get home and i will get in touch with the manufacturers aswell

Thank you for your time and advice

potterton arent technically the manafacturers they just bought the company off Range :confused:
also i dont personally think it is a scale problem and fitting a hydroflow magnetic thing as you call it would take years to break the scale down :confused:

try looking at the flow switch simply check continuity across it when turning the hot tap on ;) as this turns the pump on to circulate heating water around the plate h/exch :rolleyes:

I will try and check that tonight, soz if you have time could you tell me where i can find it

I did speak to Potterton today and they said they would come out for £235 which is fine but if it turns out to be scale they can't help...I wouldn't usually be this stressed but have already paid 2 nearly 3 call out fees

:)

follow the cold pipe in and its a black thing with 2 black wires coming off of it :cool:

im certain that this will be your problem and definately not scale by what you have told me :rolleyes:

let me know how you get on

Gary ;)

I would not have wished to pay "callout" fees for someone who then says he cannot fix it!

You and anyone else should ensure that you dont get anyone who will charge if they cannot diagnose the fault. Charging for diagnosing the fault is correct.

I have not fully understood your symptoms. The boiler does not know where the hot water is going to.

I only go to very few of your model but dont have much of a problem with those I see. Unfortunately its the kind of fault which I would expect is obvious but as its dynamic it requires checking various parameters at the point when the hot water delivery stops.

It could be that the storage is only partially getting heated. Or it could be that the boiler is not coming on to reheat it. No one has mentioned the diverter valve yet.

The potty engineers here are keeping rather quiet, perhaps because they find it a difficult unit. In reality apart from the blending unit its pretty similar to any other combi boiler. However, just that blending unit adds a further possibility of a fault.

Many in our trade if they cannot diagnose the fault say its scalled up and needs to be replaced. In reality almost all scaled up items can be cleaned but few want to bother. Oddly we do quite a few and quite often on behalf of other firms.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
No one has mentioned the diverter valve yet.

Tony Glazier

In what way?, it's a twin pump thermal store system. Irrelevant really if one tap is working at the correct temperature rise and flow rate consistantly and the heating is working then nothing is wrong with the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back