POWERTRAN Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Wondered if anyone had any answers//views on this one...

Recently [yesterday] purchased a POWERTRAN 105W low voltage transformer [yes I know the purists probably call it extra low voltage [12v] but that's what's on the packaging] for 3 12v spots [rated 35W]
Bought online via a well-known online supplier.

On reading the MIs, they state

It is recommended that this electronic transformer be used to supply one low voltage fitting

Clearly, this isn't what I wanted. I wanted the 3 spots run from this one transformer. In the past, I have used ones from another well-known online supplier and these have had no such restrictions.

Should I just forget using this and re-order from my other retailer??

Before you suggest, I cannot find a site online anywhere for this company which, in itself, is somewhat worrying....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By 'one LV fitting' I don' think they mean one lamp, a fitting may have several lamps in it.

Either way, it'll be fine. There's no way the transformer can 'know' how many fittings it's connected to or whether the load is 2x 50w lamps, 1x 100w lamp, etc. I'm at a loss as to why the manufacturer would say this, other than to make customers purchase more transformers than necessary.

some "transformers" rely on the load to "hold"the voltage, so if one lamp fails the voltage goes up to the others shortening their life. but so long as you change the failed lamp in a reasonable time you really need not worry

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply folks.

Just so you know, the MI diagram only shows ONE lamp fitting connected to the transformer.

Also, there is only ONE pair of wires coming from the transformer [ELV side] Albeit I appreciate I can use a JB to linke the sets from the 3 lamps.

I appreciate the advice and will give it a go. If it doesn't work out then it will be sited somewhere with easy access so I can replace.

Obliged.

It could just be the manufacturer covering their backside in respect to the cabling on the low voltage side, which, of course, they have no control over.

If someone tried to put a 50 watt lamp on the end of 10 metres of bell wire :eek: , then complained about the dim lights and the smell of burning PVC, they can say they had already told 'em not to do it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back