PP amendments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would changing the finish on an extension, to be started shortly, constitute a material or non-material amendment?
For example changing from render to face brickwork.
It's just that I was expecting to be able to use blocks under the render but the SE has specified brick.
No doubt there's a reason for it but if I'm going to lay bricks anyway I just as well do it to 'finished' standard.
No conservation area criteria to worry about.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Changing the finish from render to brick would be a material consideration for planning, IMO.

But it begs the question; why has your SE specified brick rather than blockwork? Strange!

Hi Tony

Thanks for responding.
He muttered something about shrinkage/cracking, of the render I'm assuming, but seems a bit over the top to me.
Does that me the planners get another eight weeks to mull it over if we do go for a change?

Concrete blocks do shrink and cause slight vertical cracking, but usually on lengths of wall of less than around 6m, it's not an issue.
If your new wall was much longer, you would incorporate a narrow movement joint, and ditto in the render. It wouldn't be particularly noticeable, and these things are often hidden by rainwater pipes and such like.
Probably easier and cheaper than building in brick, I would have thought.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony I think you may be right.

One flank wall is 11m long so that may explain it. Its got three openings in it though and there is no mention of any specific movement joint on the drawings.
I knew there was probably a reason but couldn't fathom it out.
As you say even with common bricks instead of blocks the render will work out a bit cheaper so I'll probably stick with it.

Thanks and regards

David

It would constitute a material amendment imo too. Are you in a conservation area, or have any other restrictions or controls in play?

If not, then you could work on the basis that the extension "isn't finished". In other words, as if you have built in brick and just not got around to rendering.

FYI, a material amendment application should be dealt with in 56days.

The final thing (which should really be the first thing) is to check with the local planning authority. A few times I've come across departments that would be unconcerned with this and consider it so minor that they don't need you to submit anything.

Hi Luis

No conservation area rules apply to the build and I will ring the LA on Tuesday as you suggest.
I was hoping to start on a shopping list of materials over the weekend hence the original question but I guess it can wait a few more days.

Thanks for the heads up regarding 56 days.

Regards

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back