precast concrete paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just puchashed 11 packs of ashbourne patio packs for my back garden from travis perkins,they are riven concrete in cots buff colour. i av had 3 people to quote me on getting them laid and all have refused to lay them saying there a nightmare to do??? one said they need full bed of morter and another said different i am really confused .my garden has been levelled with aload of stone and has also had eco drains put in .can anyone shed any info on these type of slabs or how they should be laid please? :confused:

Sponsored Links
im confused, as marshalls asbourne are paving edging cobbles/setts and dont come in that colour. have you got a link to them?

Thermo, Think they are from flea bay..
Pack size.
7 x 600x450mm slabs
14 x 450x450mm slabs
7 x 300x450mm slabs
Don’t know thickness.

Ashbourne1. If these are your slabs, then full muck bed.
old un

these are the flags yes,apparently they are bradstone.but dont seem to be able to find them on their site or anywhere else.have i bought poor quality flags? and what does full bed muck mean? sorry to sound thick but i am a female who doesnt really know much about this subject but dont want to be ripped off and get sumone to lay these proper,(no cowboys) thank you for ur reply. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
they should be laid on a full mortar bed. cant see snything about them that indicates theyre a nightmare to lay.

I am not familiar with them, but any contractor who knows what they are doing should be able to manage. Lay all slabs, regardless of their provenance, on a full wet mortar bed (well, nearly any). Are they especially riven on top ie undulating to look like real stone? That may put some people off, but that's no excuse really.

if you type ashboure riven patio into ebay barton garden centre are sellin the packs u can see the photo quite clear .thankyou

they are supposed to imitate real stone .travis perkins said they are callibrated on one side to make easier layin.

'Nightmare to lay' probably means they are the type of people to throw the instructions away with the packaging.
The eBay listing you refer to shows a laying pattern included in the pack. Get some more quotes.

I have looked at them, and I havent changed my opinion - any contractor you might wish to emply should be able to lay them. If u lived closer I'd quote for the job myself!

cant see any problem with laying them. they look uniform size and will be a peice of wee wee to lay.

I'm not sure if they are Marshalls or not, but checking the eBay listing they look exactly the same as Marshalls' Heritage range of precast concrete flags with the riven finish. There are equivalents from other manufacturers. A few months ago I laid a reasonable sized patio and some paths with Heritage flags and they were dead easy to lay. As per advice on this site and others (pavingexpert is a good start) I laid on a wet 50mm bed of 4:1 sharp sand to cement and pointed with a wet 4:1 building sand to cement mix. They are still as solid as a rock.

Slabs like those are usually sized to make the joint gaps easy to line up when using mixed sizes too, so any professional landscaper should be able to lay them blindfolded with one arm tied behind their back... Maybe even both.

ground is all levelled and compressed stone,ecco drain fitted can get all own sand ,mix etc myself.so jst need sumone to lay em any ideas on an estimate ? the area is 72sq foot. quite a big area i know but is compleatly square and all stone levelled ready,havnt got a clue wot kind of prices i am lukin at roughly ,any estimate? shame none of u live nearby for the job. thankyou for all ur advice.

Ah, you see, now you have slipped into silly "text speak" typing - I can no longer help ! Unless you are about 12, you shouldn't be typing that way. Its not clever and it is certainly not funny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back