Predicting the Lottery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So did anyone see Derren Brown predicting the six numbers of the Lotto draw last night? Anyone got an theories, or are even bold enough to suggest they KNOW how he did it?

I've no doubt at all that there's some trickery behind it and he didn't really predict the numbers, but I can't offer up a suggestion to how it was done?

Sponsored Links
Time delay, it was a recorded version of the draw.

Or he used the delay between analogue and digital tv signals.

Time delay, it was a recorded version of the draw.

Or he used the delay between analogue and digital tv signals.

Did you watch it? I flicked between Channel 4 and BBC1 and the feed seemed to be the same - certainly no more than 1second out, besides which, his prediction was made before the show on C4 started and, therefore, at least 5mins before the draw was made on BBC1. His numbers weren't shown beforehand but he didn't have chance to amend them as they were on screen all the time.

In a previous programme he predicted horse race outcomes by betting on all the runners and filming six different outcomes.

Therefore

14 million outcomes later he's got the answer to any combo

simples ;)

Sponsored Links
No I didnt see it, I enjoy paul daniels type magic. But this sort of thing is just ridiculous because its impossible, bit like the yank who makes jumbo jets disappear.

His numbers weren't shown beforehand.

I wonder why not? Could it be, like everyone else he did'nt know the numbers till after the draw.

The numbers were printed on balls (like the lottery balls) but the balls were facing away from camera until after the draw was made when he then turned them around. He said that Camelot prevented him from revealing the numbers until after they'd been announced on the BBC (which i don't buy - there is definately another reason for not showing them beforehand).

I don't believe for a minute that he knew the numbers before they were drawn, but it appears that he did and its working out how he made it appear like he knew them that grabs people's attention.

Tim - I too saw 'The System' where he won on the horses and had read before that about the same thing with someone predicting the winners in each round, and eventually the final, of the FA Cup but 'predicting' results of a couple of hundred football matches or 50ish horses in 4 or 5 races is a bit different to 14million combinations in the lottery!!!

I personally don't think it'll be done using time delays or camera tricks as that isn't Derren Brown's style. Anything can be made to appear possible with technology these days, especially when viewed through a TV where we only see what the creator of the show wants us to see, but Derren is usually more sneaky than that.

I've seen a magician tell me what card I've picked, and make it come out of a sealed envelope. They can also turn water into wine and make people levitate.

Just trickery. I don't know how to do it, but you can be sure it's a trick.

When i worked on a magic show series many tricks were revealed to me, the ingenuity used was very clever sometimes and how the eye is fooled by optical illusion is used a lot.

Many of the cabinets and tables are elaborately decorated with scrolls, flowers etc to take the focus away from the cleverly painted edges which fool the eye into thinking edges are there when they are not.

For example the famous cabinet trick where the middle section is pushed across leaving no possible room for anyone inside actually has more than enough room for a flexible assistant the brain cannot perceive the extra room available as the eye has already been fooled by the perspective.

I was involved in the electrics for a cabinet down at our construction facilities and whilst there I saw a table/stand which had been finished and awaited the magician and his assistant to try it for fitting even standing only a foot away from the table, edge on it looked no deeper than six inches only when you touched the underbelly did you realise it was far deeper, the assistant contorted her body and lay flat in a curled position(that was a feat in itself!) inside the table without any trouble,
False bottom in the cabinet that stood above completed the trick.

The cabinet I worked on involved two way glass and rows of halogen spots worked by a variac in order to make the subject appear and disappear before the audience.

Due to union demarcation it was deemed a sparks job to operate the variac on the show much to the disgust of the magicians advisor.

. They can also make people levitate.

Just trickery. I don't know how to do it, but you can be sure it's a trick.
My mate wishes he knew how to make his Mrs. do that- Ithink that`s what he said :oops:

no, he said he wishes he could make her leave at eight.. they're always late what with her spending hours in the bathroom getting ready..

If you could really predict the lottery numbers why would you want to do it live on TV.

That guy would be the richest man in the world if he really could do it.

Usual smoke and mirrors BS

Sponsored Links
Back