Prep after removing floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Kitchen floor files firmly stuck to concrete floor. Planning to remove with my sds drill and a fair bit of sweat and tears.

Question is once they've gone I'm thinking I'd be left with a fairly rough surface and old tile adhesive residue. Can I lay my new tiles straight on to that surface or would I likely need to prepare the subfloor first - maybe screed or is that over the top?

Sponsored Links
You'll only know once the tiles are up what route to take next.

Screed is always over the top ;)

Once you've removed all the tiles you'll have a better idea of the state of the floor. Lay a 6ft level across it in all directions and look for dips and high spots, ideally you want no more than about 3mm variation one way or the other. High spots will cause more problems than dips so grind these down first or chisel them flat. Prime the floor with acrylic primer or SBR before tiling. If the floor is too uneven it would be a good idea to apply a levelling compound first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back