Prep for tiling a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started gutting a very dated en-suite which is going to have all new tiling, flooring, sanitary ware etc.. In the shower I've removed the tiles, taken off the frame/door and removed the tray (which was slightly recessed into the wall, I assume to minimise water leaking around the tray).

Here are two photos of it in current state:

The plan is to re-tile the shower and install a new tray much closer to floor level so I've got two questions relating to this..

Firstly, the walls are paramount plasterboarded which have been skimmed inside the cubicle. What's the best/easiest way of removing all the tile adhesive? I gave it a go with a scraper earlier on for about an hour and felt like I was getting nowhere. Is steaming sensible in this situation? The skims in the rest of the house are pretty thin so I assume there is a risk of pulling that away from the plasterboard?

Secondly, what to do about the horizontal gap around where the old shower tray was?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I would shower panel, only two seams and very little chance of leakage.Also done in an hour or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back