Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bathroom approx 2x2 m square
I am taking out the bath and putting in a shower cubicle
The existing tiles are porcelain I think, about 4mm thick
I have a hammer drill and chisels
Can you let me know what to do after I get all the old flooring off, please
I have vinyl self adhesive planks as per B&Q shed.
cheers
Geof

Sponsored Links
Post pics of the prepped floor when its ready.

Post pics of the prepped floor when its ready.

i can show you the old floor..with the tiles on..
i have just got a ghetto blaster to chisel them off...but being sunday i did some quieter jobs
the prepped floor is what i am asking for advice on
how to prepare a war zone ready for peace...!!
i have been looking at loads of youtubes on what to do but none are specific enough
first i will take off the old tiling and then spend time taking off the cement
there may be some dents and holes in the chipboard flooring due to my agressive work...
so
where do we go from there...
i understand covering with plywood and screwing to the older subfloor is probably the best way to guarantee the self stick vinyl planks will stick...
what would you do?
i need a bit of encouragement here and suggestions i can sift so that when i start to use the shower and get some grandchildren in there making a mess...the floor wont complain
look forward to your help
cheers
geof

What I'm suggesting is for you to remove the tile and then post pics of whatever kind of surface the tile was laid on..

Sponsored Links
What I'm suggesting is for you to remove the tile and then post pics of whatever kind of surface the tile was laid on..

hi vinn
the existing flooring here is flooring grade chipboard.. and taking off tiles with a chisel gun will take some of the surface off, and there will be areas where some tile adhesive may remain
i will get it as smooth as i can..its a bathroom so that the chipboard, being also nearly 30 years old and probably getting wet a few times will probably need some attention to make it a sound and receptive site to lay self adhesive vinyl planks..no adhesive will be used so that the receiving subfloor will have to be as new...and that is what i want some reassurance about the best..not only..but the best way to ensure this.
i would like someone with this experience in depth to guide me...i can buy any materials which are suggested and apply them
what i dont want to happen is the planking start to come loose after the fact...??
what experience can you bring and may i have the benefit of it please
in anticipation
geof

the tiles came off in their own particular manner and in various shapes and sizes
will have to spend another day going over the bad areas where there are lumps and bumps and some holes where the tool dug in a bit
when i had my kitchen done by a professional it was the same...they spent ages and my ££££ making everything tikety boo...very professional but costly...the second stage was i think to put some latex over the flooring...chipboard...to about 3mm thick and then left for 24 hours..more ££
next phase was to put plywood over the entire floor...its a fair sized kitchen...£££
and fix it with millions of screws..finally...i thought another screed to fill the joint gaps where there may be some and fill the screw head depressions...and wait till that set ££££
note all the ££
finally a primer wipe with a roller and then onto the adhesive..wait for it...no we waited for the adhesive to...make its mind up
finally the vinyl planks..good quality with the little grout lines...living room is the same..
all over now...and i have recovered some £££££^4 being a pensioner doing papers in the morning...:D
so the bathroom seemed like a good place to enjoy all that hard work and save myself...pppp
its still early days and if anyone wants to put in an oar...well it may just help me to get some confidence that what i am going to do is workable and lasting...are you there vinn?..sorry no pics...:(
cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back