Prepping doors for paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20181202_175634064.jpg

IMG_20181202_175711740.jpg

IMG_20181202_175746364.jpg

What's the best way to deal with these defects prior to painting ? I've quite a few doors to paint.

Sponsored Links
HawkEye244, good evening.

The extent of the damage at the bottom of the door is really bad [then again you know that?]

Am I correct in assuming the door is a hollow core? I think I can see the cardboard verticals?

To be blunt? it may be possible to over plate the surfaces of the door with a very, very thin ply? problem is you will have to re-set the hinges, plus the raw edge all around the door?

It looks as if new doors are best option?

Filler will have a job trying to hang on to the damaged area? and if gloos paint is used the filled areas will be difficult to get smooth enough at the joint so as not to be glaringly obvious?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes they are hollow core and approximately 1960s ... ?

I was wondering whether a really heavy sanding with an orbital might strip enough paint off to allow filler to be used on these defects. I'm intending to use water based gloss from Leyland.

I'll admit it was my mistake to use the deep crack filler on the door. I didn't know until I opened it that it was grey and had no option but to use it by then.

New doors are an option I suppose.

Do you think filler on the bottom of the door is an absolute no no ? I understand what you mean about the thin ply, in fact rather than over plate I could go one better and router out a lip for it to sit in? This photo shows the worst door of the lot, they are not all like this, this is the very worst one.

Sponsored Links
HawkEye244, good evening again.

I would not be unduly concerned about colour of filler the paint will take care of it. even use of stain block??

As for the bottom of the door? is the bottom timber rail still in place? and is it in reasonable condition?

Ken.

As Sparkwright says, use two pack filler and sand it with a random orbital sander (starting with 80 grit and then finishing with 180g).

However, given the costs of the materials and the time required, it may be cheaper to buy a new door.

New doors. Not only less hassle but will look nicer if you buy solid timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back