Preserving T&G Glued Hardwood Floor - Is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to flooring so bear with me. I have started a T&G hardwood floor. I'm floating over floorboards but gluing the boards together. Started the first 3 rows but have noticed gaps in the boards where some of the boards are not the same width therefore giving me gaps where they overlap on the next row. Is there anyway I can easily lift and preserve some of the boards and slot in better matched boards therefore not giving me any gaps.

Some way of cancelling the glue affects?

Thinking about just letting it go but suspect I'll have further gaps if I progress as I am.

Please advise

Chris

Sponsored Links
Why have you chosen this method?
What condition are the sub-floor boards in?
What material/brand name are you using?
Are you examining the boards before laying them?
Did you try loose laying a few rows to a set line?
Its possible to cramp up the boards - but are you going up to skirting spacers (10mm to 15mm) or going under the skirting?

Vinn hi,

Why have you chosen this method?

Because I didn't want to ruin subfloor. Also seemed easiest. It has been laid previously with no fixing but it does move so I need to relay to fix it. I don't want to nail.

What condition are the sub-floor boards in?

Good.

What material/brand name are you using?

Wickes. Oak.

Are you examining the boards before laying them?

Yes but my eyes are getting bad!

Did you try loose laying a few rows to a set line?

Yes. That all worked ok. Think my kids got in before the boards had time to glue together properly.

Its possible to cramp up the boards - but are you going up to skirting spacers (10mm to 15mm) or going under the skirting?

Going under.

I need to know if easy way to lift or if there isn't without destroying boards.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/p...od-floor-is-it-possible.471128/#ixzz4QIekbhEB

Sponsored Links
If I understand - the situation is that you have a T&G subfloor that you dont want to nail into, hence this type of Wickes Oak flooring.
The Oak boards are being glued together?
You've not mentioned any underlay?

To remove any boards you will typically have to lift from the last board laid & keep lifting until you remove the defective board.
Clean off the glue before re-laying

Suction clamps used for lifting glass or large tiles will help, or perhaps even lift a glued board but they would be an added expense. google them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back