preserving wooden posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house and the builders constructed a fence on top of the retaining wall using bracket to hold the wooden posts. The problem is these square brackets will retain the water and eventualy rot the posts. I have already silicon sealed around the edges but wanted to drill a hole and pour in some wood preservative each year to help the wooden posts and avoid rot. The hole will be plugged with a cork or the like. Is this a reasonable idea and what type of preservative is best to use.

Thanks for the help :)

Sponsored Links
If the bracket is like a box, you might also open up the bottom so that water can't sit in it and encourage rotting.

I'd use Cuprinol Green in the position you describe, and let the post bottoms sit in it for an hour to soak up as much as they could. You can wrap them in polythene and staple it in position to keep them soaking in the preserver.

johnd

The problem is that they are already in place and screwed into the steel brackets, no chance of removing them or drilling a hole in the bottom. In fact i hope the builders were smart enough to have drilled a hole in the first place. I look at the culprinol today and check if it will do the job

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back