President Trump and the State Visit to the UK

Sponsored Links
The petition is not to ban people. It is a request to reconsider whether Donald Trump is a person worthy of being offered a State Visit.

I wonder if the people who signed that petition are the same ones who harp on about how Britain is too small to have a 'voice on the world stage' or a 'seat at the table'? Why do I get the feeling they're the same people who now think we can afford to no-platform the president of America...

Sponsored Links
I think we need him on our side , whatever his shortcomings. I'm sure Her Maj has shaken hands with worse people

I think we need him on our side , whatever his shortcomings. I'm sure Her Maj has shaken hands with worse people
Exactly. Simply ignoring, ridiculing or p!$$ing off despots is not good politics.
2AA8337000000578-3166613-image-m-28_1437254479657.jpg

It is interesting to note that some members make a public display over 'ignoring' another on a social website to show their disapproval. Yet they are not willing to show a public display of not inviting a leader of a nation who demonstrates xenophobic and inhumane tendencies. Why? Because he is a president of a nation with whom we wish to do business?
I am glad that similar attitudes were not displayed during the realm of the German Chancellor in the 30's, the rule of the General Secretary of Cambodia in the 60's etc. I am thankful that our leaders then had and demonstrated the courage of their convictions.
Sometimes, some things are not for sale!

I watched the petition this morn for 5 mins. It went up 25 thousand in just that short time.. impressive :)

I watched the petition this morn for 5 mins. It went up 25 thousand in just that short time.. impressive :)
The Trump team will no doubt claim:
"It was the smallest, meanest petition ever created. The least people, ever, signed it. Maybe one or two people read it but did not sign it. If Trump had started the petition, it would have been the greatest petition anyone ever saw!" ;)

from another forum it was said:
Were you to read it, it says welcome him as a head of Government [which he is] rather than as a head of state [which he also is].

Heads of Government are met by the Prime Minister ( head of Government ) but not the monarch who is Head of State

I am not sure that he is Head of a State as the USA may not be a State ( as in Soveriegn State )

It's all irrelevant anyway, the petition is just a protest vote. Teresa May has already invited Trump on behalf of the queen and it's been accepted.

in the Guardian Mo Farah said:
“The Queen made me a knight, Donald Trump made me an alien."

in the Guardian Mo Farah said:
He added that he would have to tell his children that he might not be able to come home to the US from his training camp in Ethiopia, where he was scheduled to stay for another two weeks before competing for the UK in Britain

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/29/sir-mo-farah-donald-trump-made-me-an-alien

Mo Farah is a high profile personality whose situation has made the headlines. There are hundreds if not thousands of ordinary and innocent people who may be separated from their families.

There is a parallel with The Wall that overnight divided east and west Germany which separated thousand of families... many of whom were never to be re-united, they died before the re-unification of Germany

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/29/sir-mo-farah-donald-trump-made-me-an-alien

Mo Farah is a high profile personality whose situation has made the headlines. There are hundreds if not thousands of ordinary and innocent people who may be separated from their families.

There is a parallel with The Wall that overnight divided east and west Germany which separated thousand of families... many of whom were never to be re-united, they died before the re-unification of Germany
Mo's now been allowed in, as of last night apparently.
And yes, Trump is being uber scary and this is just week one. I just hope someone in America, with their love of guns, sorts him out soon!!

Sponsored Links
Back