Pressure washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is something we definitely will need at the new place, often enough to make buying rather than renting an obvious choice.

I've used one but no little about them - is there much to know in terms of features, power, etc or do I just buy something with decent reviews on Amazon?

Sponsored Links
Flow rate is arguably more important than motor power. Petrol ones are more powerful than electric ones. Electric models tend to be cheaper.

I had a Nilfisk pressure washer. It had an aluminium pump. The cheapest Karchers used to have a plastic one which would break quickly. The more expensive ones I think are better now.

Look at accessories and what you'll use it for. More accessories can mean more versatility.

Flow rate is arguably more important than motor power. Petrol ones are more powerful than electric ones. Electric models tend to be cheaper.

I had a Nilfisk pressure washer. It had an aluminium pump. The cheapest Karchers used to have a plastic one which would break quickly. The more expensive ones I think are better now.

Look at accessories and what you'll use it for. More accessories can mean more versatility.
Yes. We had a Karcher which began to leak (directly after the warranty ended!). We had it repaired and it leaked again.

We now have a Nilfisk, which has been no problem at all.

A third vote for Nilfisk. Ours has an adjustable power setting (from the lance handle) so you can turn it down for washing the car, or up for the patio. Also comes with a hose long enough to wash the car without carrying the machine around with you.

Sponsored Links
The numbers mean little to me... So I'm currently looking at models on price alone! On Amazon, Nilfisk (a brand i never heard of, i thought karcher was the big brand) seem to have models at 100, 150, 200 quid.

We have a medium-sized concrete back yard and a concrete car port, but no paths to manage... Any more specific model recommendations or contents on how much power/flow is reasonable? I don't want to be dicking about for hours but neither do I want to spend hundreds on something that is designed for semi-pro use!

The pro use is going to be the P range. That's about £350 and IMO overkill for anyone other than professional user. There's nothing wrong with the C-range. I had the C120 and loved it. The best bit was I could buy a longer hose off ebay. I now have the E140. It has a fixed hosepipe that can't be swapped. If I could go back in time, I'd buy the C130.

The various model numbers and suffixes have me a little confused.. -4-6, -5-7 etc. Is this talking about what comes with the unit or something else?

IIRC the first digit is the iteration/version number and I think second is the package/accessories stuff.
As an example, the C130 is 1-x. It's the first PW with this number.
I have, for example, the E140.3-x. It's the third version (I know because it doesn't allow me to upgrade the hose, something I could have done with the E140.2 but the design's been altered).

I would break it down to price/budget and then look at what accessories come with the PW. There's nothing wrong with the C110 or C120 versions either.

Having had a couple of karchers (same leaking problems as previously mentioned), got a Nilfisk about 18 months ago and the difference is quite marked.
(This one: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1577941 , although I got it for £89.99)

The pattern of spray just seems to be much more effective.

Only downside is that the hose storage is not the best design.

Having had a couple of karchers (same leaking problems as previously mentioned), got a Nilfisk about 18 months ago and the difference is quite marked.
(This one: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1577941 , although I got it for £89.99)

The pattern of spray just seems to be much more effective.

Only downside is that the hose storage is not the best design.
That looks similar to the one we have, although I haven't gone out to the shed this evening to look for a model number!

I agree about the hose storage. I don't bother trying to wind it up like that, I just wind it into loose coils and hang them over the handle.

Incidentally, although the OP has never heard of Nilfisk, as I understand it that Danish brand is an excellent choice. He should read some independent reviews!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back