Price for boiler replacement.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Where do you live?
You buy it online then any return visit to correct anything is chargeable whilst they factor in such things and time to order/ collecting it and bringing it to the job.
Overheads, van, all taxes, downtime completing paperwork such as registering your shiny new boiler etc etc
Is the flue being moved/ altered.
Full flush takes time.
Profit is not a dirty word, two quotes within £300 should tell you something.

I live in Dover area, site is an easy access, nothing is going to be altered, it's a "simple" swap.

Do you ask a restaurant how much the ingredients are? FFS.

Do you expect them to sell the food for the same price they paid for it?

No, but I do ask my mechanic if he quotes me 1000£ to replace a shock absorber, asking what part of that quote is the actual part and what is the labour (since it's a 1 hour job). I hope (for you) you do it as well. And yes, I do not expect my mechanic to make a profit on the parts but on his labour which should include overheads for everyting he needs to run a business.

Yes. Your figure should be around 1350 - 1650, for a start. A mag filter and chems will be over a ton. Are they VAT registered? Another £225 - £275.

The cheapest on line prices are generally lower than our trade prices, but many of us prefer to use proper merchants. Relationships have to be forged and maintained, and most websites carry conditions that are illegal. Damaged products delivered can be a nightmare from online, whereas the matter is sorted with a quick phone call to the merchant.

If you are unhappy, get another quote. We cannot know the site conditions - can they park on your drive? Is loft access easy?

Sorry, I am not sure to understand. You mean that a mag filter and chems will be over a 1000£?

What's wrong with the present boiler? I'd take a 12 year old Ecomax over a new Worshitter Bodge any day of the week

Previous house owner did not service the boiler (at least in the last 6 years), so you can immagine it's state. Several valves are leaking and recently a prv began to discharge the water even with the boiler shutted off. I fixed the last issue, but begin to wonder if it's worth to go on with it in a long run and risk (and pay for repair) the fault during the winter.

I already experienced no heating situation for 3 days this winter (when I removed the carpet there was a nail in a gas pipe :S) and it was not pretty.

No, but I do ask my mechanic if he quotes me 1000£ to replace a shock absorber, asking what part of that quote is the actual part and what is the labour (since it's a 1 hour job). I hope (for you) you do it as well. And yes, I do not expect my mechanic to make a profit on the parts but on his labour which should include overheads for everyting he needs to run a business.

All good business men should put up to 20% on materials. This is the way I look at it.

If a boiler goes wrong I want to investigate before I Call out the manufacture for you. This is my non paid time.

If a product like a pump, TRV zone valve ect becomes faulty.
Who has to replace it / fix it? ME at my time and expense. the manufacture at best will just replace the part they will not pay for my labour.

Its not profit more of an insurance policy

None of this is a problem it all part of the guarantee I give

I live in Dover area, site is an easy access, nothing is going to be altered, it's a "simple" swap.

Sorry, I am not sure to understand. You mean that a mag filter and chems will be over a 1000£?

Previous house owner did not service the boiler (at least in the last 6 years), so you can immagine it's state. Several valves are leaking and recently a prv began to discharge the water even with the boiler shutted off. I fixed the last issue, but begin to wonder if it's worth to go on with it in a long run and risk (and pay for repair) the fault during the winter.

I already experienced no heating situation for 3 days this winter (when I removed the carpet there was a nail in a gas pipe :S) and it was not pretty.

A "ton" is £100, not a grand. :)

If you believe that garages do not make a profit on parts, then you are deluded. Or mad.

However it is is constructed, you have been given their charges, by which they stand it fall.
As I said, if you believe that are wrong, ask another. And BG.

Power flushing, done properly, is time intensive, and boring. No matter how quick an engineer is, there is a process, and you have to allow time for the chems to do their thing.
You are entitled to ask how long the job is likely to take.

As I said earlier, profit is not a dirty word. Out of curiosity what is your day job alekc?

If you believe that garages do not make a profit on parts, then you are deluded. Or mad.

I think garages charge, 'book price' for parts, but they get their trade discount which is a percentage less.

Exhaust centres used to have a book price, which they woild quote from andctell you fitting is free. In reality the discount is probably large, 80% or similar, which means the install is in the price.

Tradesmen would normally expect to put a margin on materials. There are costs involved in purchasing the materials, ordering, collecting or delivery, administration of the purchase invoices, VAT etc. In fact charging at cost, a tradesman is not recovering those costs so is in fact making a loss.

After the work is dont the tradesman has to guarantee the work. If a part fails, it will need replacing - nobodies fault, but the customer wont expect to pay the extra labour cost.

What's annoying is after you have completed a job the customer says 'I can get that part for less money from internet/Screwfix'

I always give a fixed price which includes parts and labour and no I will not break it down.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back