Price of fire wood?

Well we're looking to get the HPP and RHI so need to completely replace our system.

You can install a wood-burner and retain the fossil-fuel appliance for emergencies, whilst still qualifying for the RHI; told that on the RHI biomass course, so it's probably right.

You didn't tell us whether you own the local forest. :D

You might want to go and see one of these working. The rate at which they gobble wood when going full blast is quite impressive and would put any ideas about casually collecting firewood into a realistic perspective.

Sponsored Links
have you though about the time wasted tending to the stove getting up hours early to light and warm up the house
you will have to spend around 10 mins every hour to feed and empty the stove so its time intensive way to maybe save money but also possibly loose money to waste around 10 hrs a week attending the stove plus wood collection time after you pay the land owner and get permission to remove a ton off wood a year

I have thought about this - it's all i think about at the moment.

The plan is to only batch burn in the April - October then slumber mode it for the rest of the time (unless we go away). So filling morning and night in the autumn / winter. I know it loses a bit of extra heat in slumber but its more convenient.

I'm most apprehenisve about the summer running, but in the long run I think we will get a solar hot water panel (to go with our existing PV array) to do the summer hot water. One step at a time though!

We'll get the immersion option for emergencies.

As far as the wood is concerned, I'm not kidding myself that its a walk in the park. In fact I am planning to buy in all the wood (if I was totally honest).

There's a lot more to living than just flicking a switch - I'm sure 'man making fire to fire mans home' has got to be a good feeling?

Sponsored Links
I cannot bring myself to switch to log fire, whatever the cost. Seems too much of work for something which has other easier and safer work arounds ..

i also looked at there example off a 40kw fire in the cotswolds
suggesting saving 50% over fuel oil and paying for its self in 3 years ?? they also recon a saving off £7.000 over 6 years this suggest to me that they are saying the saving are £7.000 divided by 6=£1167 a year so doubled as they claim 50% so £2333 a year on heating and water do you spend £2.300 a year on oil??

they also say 13 tons including what he gets for free

Lots of gas and air!

That's just what I needed when Mrs tryitandsee was having ours ;)

Regards the wood, fantastic idea, you can as you have said, add solar and other alternatives later.

Depending on what size logs you can take, most tree surgeons will happily dump the larger size logs off in your drive for less money, if your prepared to ring and split them further! Once you've made contact with one, it becomes advantageous to you both.

A couple of other things to consider. A sheltered area for the tank and boiler?

I'd have two concerns about this. First, freezing, if the building isn't airtight and insulated. . You can put anti-freeze in the water, but it introduces a whole new bunch of problems if it goes acidic (which it does, eventually). It's also expensive. I've had a few dealings with anti-freeze and I'd avoid it if I could.

Second, theft. The itinerant communities cruise the streets in their vans around here on the look out for metal, sheds, tools, vans that might contain tools and oil tanks. Anything accessible is liable to vanish or be smashed in the attempt to lift it.

You could keep the combi and link the external boiler to it via a plate heat exchanger.

Have a look on the free sites like this or Gumtree and Preloved in their free section

Loads of free firewood. :D

Just got off the phone to a local MCS installer who's previously been to our property and he thinks we havent got room for all the kit!!

Ah man, back to square one.

He's now looking into the Baxi multiheat for us.

http://www.baxi.co.uk/products/Baxi-Biomass-Multiheat.htm

That apparently doesnt even need a thermal store at all and can be located in a metal shed?

Same kinda price range as the econ angus stuff (when you add the accumulation tank on to the eco angus boiler) and needs a lot less space as its just this unit.

Can anyone comment on this system?

I've also heard back from the LA and we defo need planning for that lean-to. Damn the road we live next to!

This company near me is selling off cuts for £150 per silage trailer full which @ 25cu/m = £6 per cubic/m.
http://www.hawthornetimber.com/profile.php
So look for companies like that near your area!

Thats one of these filled.....
ncgraintrailerpic5.jpg

..and tipped on your front lawn if you like. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back