Wood burner and heat activated fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

We have a wood burner in our living room which emits heat but only to the surrounding areas now the entire room- well not for ages anyway!

Do you know if a placing a fan in front of the fire will help? I know they should go on top but I don’t have space on top to place one.

Any suggestions?

Photo attached!

270A5625-3F77-4EC0-B506-93CE5FFFED09.jpeg

Sponsored Links
These eco fans get really hot - so much that you can’t touch them- and they require a direct source of heat for the thermo cell to generate electricity ....unfortunately one placed in front of the fire wouldn’t spin at all.
John

Do you know if a placing a fan in front of the fire will help? I know they should go on top but I don’t have space on top to place one
I'm afraid the standard wood burning stove fan won't work in your cicumstance.
Those fans use a peltier device to drive a small electric motor.
The peltier needs a large temperature differential to generate the power, hence a very hot bottom plate that sits on the stove.

A small mains or battery operated electric fan, placed in front of the stove may help, but will lack the aesthetics!

....aaaah, beaten to it! :)

Sponsored Links
I had a woodburner a bit smaller than that in my last house and it was installed in front of a blanking plate over the original fireplace so that all the surfaces radiated into the room, front, sides and top. IMOP that installation is a bit naff from an efficiency point of view.

Are you sure that warm air isn't going up the chimney (apart from the smoke)?

The space around the current wood burner can’t be made bigger (not width ways anyway because of the chimney breast) but we could potentially have the fireplace surround removed and have the area above the stove increased but then would be less space between fire and tv…

Or we could ask for the wood burner to be brought out of the surround more so the heat isn’t getting lost?

Any recommendations would be fabulous please if what you’d do in this circumstance x

We currently have the Hunter Allure 5 installed but could see what the 4 would be like which is substantially smaller in width and height to give extra space.

I’m not sure if the installer will accept a return for this fireplace now or if we would need to purchase new…

Size difference
70D30218-E648-4B53-B364-A0604B920A07.png

Attachments

• E55F7CEE-2A74-48AB-B19B-3D559774040D.png
    E55F7CEE-2A74-48AB-B19B-3D559774040D.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 96
Potentially getting the Allure 4 instead of the 5 we currently have would look more like this, more efficient?

3450CC49-5A09-427F-A921-CCACE8FC4998.jpeg

It should be possible to bring the wood burner forward out of the recess which would help it emit more heat. But putting a tv above it is not a good plan.

Any recommendations would be fabulous please if what you’d do in this circumstance x
Bring it forward (y) Also , what's that on the left of the surround near the floor ? looks like an old gas fire valve and pipe . A job for gas safe to remove . Was the install HETAS and registered with paperwork for you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back