Wood burner and heat activated fan

Current set up. I am sorry for all the separate messages.

51410823-AE92-4C28-9A98-D8513FE9CAF2.png

Sponsored Links
Bring it forward (y) Also , what's that on the left of the surround near the floor ? looks like an old gas fire valve and pipe . A job for gas safe to remove . Was the install HETAS and registered with paperwork for you?
Hi yesss it was HETAS and we have the paperwork. The gas has been completely disconnected we can pull the vibe valve out and patch the wall just haven’t yet!

Bring forward or get smaller burner? We have tv above.

Attachments

• DE4C8EC0-FB25-4B59-A463-4827DCA709E5.png
    DE4C8EC0-FB25-4B59-A463-4827DCA709E5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Would a smaller wood burner have been better?
It's possibly not as bad as you think?
Your chimney breast could be acting as a thermal store and radiator.
But because of it's mass, it will take longer to warm up and have an appreciable effect on room temperature.
...However, the room may stay warmer for longer.

Sponsored Links
I had a TV (plasma) above my burner, with a shelf acting as a mantle. It all worked fine. Burner was flush to the front of the chimney breast.

FWIW I think your original stove is too large for that fireplace, Allure 4 looks better too.

Would the smaller wood burner make much of a difference? Or isn’t it worth the fuss and money now to change? I will check the dimensions when I get home. We could take the space bigger by removing the surround and having a wood beam installed instead - that would instead the height of the gap but not the width. The width cannot go any wider as it’s the chimney breast!

I guess it depends what your priorities are. If it was me I would move it forwards. If it was the installers idea to shove it into the back of the fireplace like that I would definitely get a different installer who knows what there doing! I take it the mantle is marble as I cannot see a wooden one meeting HETAS. BTW my priority would not be a plasma thing either but each to there own :)

This is the Hunter Allure 5, the allure 4 would be 3inches shorter and 2inches smaller widthways!
649EF5B5-FA50-449D-BA25-68DE0D8DBDBA.png

I guess it depends what your priorities are. If it was me I would move it forwards. If it was the installers idea to shove it into the back of the fireplace like that I would definitely get a different installer who knows what there doing! I take it the mantle is marble as I cannot see a wooden one meeting HETAS. BTW my priority would not be a plasma thing either but each to there own :)
Thank you. I will contact the installer and ask them to bring the stove out of the surround as much as they think possible to see if that helps.

That would probably be a good place to start anyway wouldn’t it instead of selling the stove and getting a new smaller one.

Thank you. I will contact the installer and ask them to bring the stove out of the surround as much as they think possible to see if that helps.

That would probably be a good place to start anyway wouldn’t it instead of selling the stove and getting a new smaller one.
Indeed BUT I think you will have to find somewhere else for the plasma as a lot of heat goes upwards even with stovetop fans!
You might need to extend the hearth as you will find out when cleaning out the ash it tends to go where you dont want it and sparks have a tendency to fly when you open the door to load more wood in, either that or consider a sacrificial mat.

I imagine that stove has a top/rear entry so easy to convert it to rear with an elbow in the flue allowing the stovepipe to fit the same fireplace without needing to increase its height.

Indeed BUT I think you will have to find somewhere else for the plasma as a lot of heat goes upwards even with stovetop fans!
Yeah we might need to if more heat comes out and up. Currently the stone mantle is protecting the TV the underneath gets warm but the top of it is really cool and hardly warm at all!

Yeah we might need to if more heat comes out and up. Currently the stone mantle is protecting the TV the underneath gets warm but the top of it is really cool and hardly warm at all!
hahaha no surprise there as the stove is BURIED in the fireplace doing very little, wait till you get it out and installed properly!! Anyway suck it and see ......

Jb, is the chimney void directly above the stove blocked off with a register plate? It should be, and the flue pipe should pass through it pretty tightly.
It would be possible to bring the stove forward but you may have to increase the size of the hearth......you would also need two 45degree bends to accommodate the flue which may encroach on the available space.
John

Jb, is the chimney void directly above the stove blocked off with a register plate? It should be, and the flue pipe should pass through it pretty tightly.
It would be possible to bring the stove forward but you may have to increase the size of the hearth......you would also need two 45degree bends to accommodate the flue which may encroach on the available space.
John
Thanks! That’s very true. Would getting a smaller be better in that case? The hearth can’t be increased it would be a case or completely removing the fireplace surround and replacing with new hearth and mantle I think xx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back