Prices of Take-away Food

Sponsored Links
Not round here.

The portions of both fish and chips are shrinking.

When I was working in Notts about a decade ago, I ordered fish and chips for lunch. At that time, I ate a fair amount in one sitting. But after giving the chips all I could, there was still enough left over to feed 4 or 5 people! I weighed the leftover chips when I got home and they were 915g.

Tonight I had one piece of Skate, a regular Cod, one standard portion of chips (still too many for two of us), an onion, a Wally and a bottle of proper 'vinegar' (NBC).

F6B4EB53-2305-45E2-80AC-7E5CF68D27C7.png

The piece of Skate was £11.00. Not cheap.

I thought everybody called it that. What is it called in other parts of the country?
A fish supper is known in England as fish and chips; therefore supper is Scottish for "and chips". This holds true for pies, puddings and haggis. You can't beat a white pudding supper

...and in England only the fish are done in batter, not the pies and puddings!

Also, you call chip shops "chippers" while we call them "chippies".
Tonight I had one piece of Skate, a regular Cod, one standard portion of chips (still too many for two of us), an onion, a Wally and a bottle of proper 'vinegar' (NBC).
What's a Wally?

Sponsored Links

NBC is not vinegar. It is a synthetic dilute acid, with brown colouring added.

NBC is not vinegar. It is a synthetic dilute acid, with brown colouring added.
Correct. Non brewed condiment. It’s 'proper vinegar' down these parts though as you will know from your hundred visits a year to East London. Can’t normally be found outside London and you can’t even buy it in supermarkets. Chip shops and greengrocers seem to be the only place you can get it. I often remind Mrs Motties sister that she ****ed up the food at our wedding when she bought malt vinegar for the big bowls of jellied eels at the reception. She didn’t know any different. Still doesn’t.

At one time I worked near the Sarson's factory. It smelt like a brewery, because it was.

On my fish and chips I usually put white wine vinegar.

Sometimes Wilkins ketchup, and sometimes mayo.

I do not eat synthetic acid.

Sponsored Links
Back