Pricing, old wives tale?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next year I need to get my lounge window and back door replaced. Both are showing quite severe signs of age. The rest of my windows are fine (1 x kitchen, 1 x dining room, 1 x bathroom, 2 x bedroom) and don't need replaced as such.

However, over the years I've heard people say the quote difference between getting a portion of your house done vs the whole house isn't always that significant, obviously depending on house size and no. of doors and windows.

Is there any truth in this? I'm not fully settled in this house and will likely move x years down the line, so I'm not looking to outlay significant sums of money on it. So the thought of keeping costs as low as possible appeals.

Yes, at the time I can obviously get various quotes to compare, however I just wondered if anyone on here with experience/knowledge of the double glazing industry had any views on this?

Sponsored Links
Next year I need to get my lounge window and back door replaced. Both are showing quite severe signs of age
What exactly are the signs of age?
I've found uPVC windows can be cleaned up quite nicely with a little effort - hinges and handles can be replaced cheaply and sealed units are easy enough to source online, or from a local supplier.
Similarly for doors, if you have a uPVC door, the frame can often be cleaned up and door panels can be swapped out, or replaced with glazing.
Again, replacement handles and hinges can make a door look brand new again :)

What exactly are the signs of age?
I've found uPVC windows can be cleaned up quite nicely with a little effort - hinges and handles can be replaced cheaply and sealed units are easy enough to source online, or from a local supplier.
Similarly for doors, if you have a uPVC door, the frame can often be cleaned up and door panels can be swapped out, or replaced with glazing.
Again, replacement handles and hinges can make a door look brand new again :)
Nah, these are f**ked mate, honestly. Window has some sort of wrap that's peeling badly and the actual window is sh1te. I'm unsure what the previous owner has done, however the lounge window doesn't match the rest (profile wise etc.)

If I was settled here I'd get them all replaced without thinking twice, however like many folk I need to use my £££ wisely hence me not intending to replace them all unless I thought the price difference would be relatively negligible.

Got a window salesman as a neighbour and he quoted me minimum £1300 for a new kitchen door. Ugly plastic thing it was, bottom of the range as I asked him their cheapest. He told me that his company now charge a grand as a starting price on anything plus the cost of the door itself, one door, one window whatever, as it's not worth their time coming out otherwise - he said it was common practice so perhaps there is truth in what you say.

So, partner did it himself, new wood & glass door, new frame, £450 all in and quite a few swear words.

Sponsored Links
No

Volume discounts for windows start at 50 or even 100 of the same units.
So if I'm reading you correctly, you're saying there 'will' likely be quite a saving to be made just getting the one window and door done as opposed to the whole house?

Regardless of whether or not you move in, say, the next 5 years, isn't it in your interest to get the job done if it needs doing?

You've alot to save if your prepared to do your own leg work. I measured up all our windows and got them made at a local window manufacturer, 12 windows were £3600 there just standard white units with double glazing, a couple had fire escape hinges fitted.

They then cost between £80 and £100 per window to have fitted by a fitter who subbies for the company that made them, no Fensa certificate but that doesn't bother me I'll just get an indemnity policy if I ever sell up.

Local window firm wanted just short of 10k for the same job so we saved a decent amount.

I stopped fitting my own frames years ago. No (financial) point to it, from a business point of view. The company we use have their own in-house, on the books crews fitting and do a brilliant job. I find UPVC fitting rather depressing. The crews that do it day in day out seem to feel the same.

During the 1st lockdown I built a small timber frame extension couple of skylights, 4 windows and a door. The skylights were widely advertised at about £500 each but I found a company in Doncaster who would do them for £250 each inc delivery to Cornwall.
When I was ready for doors and windows I phoned every window place in the area and all were shut down because of covid. I called the company in Doncaster and despite a glass shortage, managed to supply 3 windows with top openers, 1 fixed glass window and 1 door for £900.

I'm just finishing a garden room, 1500mm french doors, 2 x 600mm floor to ceiling fixed glass windows, 1 x 600mm full height with half height opener, and 1 600 x 600mm full opener, charcoal grey on white, about £1700, that's over £800 cheaper than the cheapest local quote.

I stopped fitting my own frames years ago. No (financial) point to it, from a business point of view. The company we use have their own in-house, on the books crews fitting and do a brilliant job. I find UPVC fitting rather depressing. The crews that do it day in day out seem to feel the same.

I looked at doing mine several years ago, 12 of them, after doing them myself many years before. There was a saving to be made, but was it worth my time, the risk and effort to do it - I decided it wasn't, when compared to a quote offered by a local installer.

Next year I need to get my lounge window and back door replaced. Both are showing quite severe signs of age. The rest of my windows are fine (1 x kitchen, 1 x dining room, 1 x bathroom, 2 x bedroom) and don't need replaced as such.

However, over the years I've heard people say the quote difference between getting a portion of your house done vs the whole house isn't always that significant, obviously depending on house size and no. of doors and windows.

Is there any truth in this? I'm not fully settled in this house and will likely move x years down the line, so I'm not looking to outlay significant sums of money on it. So the thought of keeping costs as low as possible appeals.

Yes, at the time I can obviously get various quotes to compare, however I just wondered if anyone on here with experience/knowledge of the double glazing industry had any views on this?
Find a local, independent, small upvc business, which will avoid all that sales bolox.

make sure you choose a decent profile.

Sponsored Links
Back