Prior approval refused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have recently had a prior notification approval refused for my rear extension. My garage is attached to the house and offset, thus providing a side wall to the proposed extension. Officer says that this is classed as a rear and side extension and therefore refused based on the build being more than half the width of the original property. Is this right? My property isn’t increasing in footprint width at all. Lots of neighbouring properties have added full width conservatories utilising the garage wall as a side wall in these.
have recently had a prior notification approval refused for my rear extension. My garage is attached to the house and offset, thus providing a side wall to the proposed extension. Officer says that this is classed as a rear and side extension and therefore refused based on the build being more than half the width of the original property. Is this right? My property isn’t increasing in footprint width at all. Lots of neighbouring properties have added full width conservatories utilising the garage wall as a side wall in these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
For it to be Permitted Development it will need to meet the criteria for both a side and rear extension.

Thanks for that. How have people used the wall for conservatories then? Have they just 'got away with it' as only having 3m from rear and not needing to notify planning?

Sponsored Links
How annoying....if I too decided on the 'conservatory' route, would this become a problem if I decided to sell etc or with building control?

Because although no objections from my neighbour, officer said they would turn down planning application due to 'loss of immediate outlook'...I don't suppose putting a 6ft fence down the boundary first would help?

What does that loss of outlook refer to?

In your image above, is that white block all your house or is that an adjoining property on the left?

Yes, it's a semi detached property. The extension would be 0.5m off the boundary line

I can't see how this can be a side extension. I suppose I need to read up on the prior notification rules a bit later.

In the meantime, if say, the new extension did not use that existing garage wall, then would it just be classed as a rear extension?

woody look at the techy guidance I linked to, bottom of page 23.

Yes the OP could have a gap and come out 3m, or 6m under the neighbourhood consultation scheme, then it would only be a rear extension.

I can't see how it's a side extension either. Apparently if I leave a gap big enough between garage wall and extension wall to have guttering, then it would just be a rear extension but I'd never be able to maintain the guttering or the brick work due to size of gap.

Its a side wall because it is a side wall. How can you think that a side wall is not side wall? The techy guidance I linked to even has a little picture showing what a side wall is. If it was a 'professional' who submitted the application I would ask for a refund, this is basic stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back