Privacy Alert! Opt your mobile out of new DQ services

J

Johnmelad502

What's this about?

A new directory enquiries service, 118 800, has launched charging a shocking £1 per search for mobile numbers. This means if people want to contact you via it they can (they pay £1) it won't give out your number but will send a text to you with that persons details.

How to opt out of the service

If, like many people, you don't like the idea of anyone being put through to your mobile in this way, you can opt out.

Online for free* Alternatively remove your number from the list by entering your mobile number On Line . You will be texted a code which you'll need to enter online to confirm you're the owner of the phone.
Text at c.10p* You can text the letter 'E' to 118 800 from the mobile you don't want to be listed (standard network charges will apply).

What about kids' mobiles?
While the service's policy is not to hold data on anyone under the age of 18 if you've given your child a mobile registered in your name, outrageously the number can be accessed in the same way.

How did it get my number?

If you've ever ticked a form and given permission for companies to share your details, it's likely your number will be on the list. When you do this, these companies usually sell the lists on, which is how 118 800 got your number.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that John. I would just add it takes a while for the texts to come through.

In my opinion its wrong that you have to opt out in the first place but to then have to pay for the privilege! Someone is making a nice mint out of all this

Sponsored Links
In my opinion its wrong that you have to opt out in the first place but to then have to pay for the privilege! Someone is making a nice mint out of all this

It's free if done on line...

Johnmelad502";p="1253829 said:
tim west";p="1253825 said:

It's free if done on line...

Which I did 2 weeks ago.

Paul

nobody is making a mint out of the "stop" text, its c.10p, a standard message rate*. The recieving company (118800) is making nothing out of that text. They just recieve it and remove you. Your network is making 10p out of you. However, you never know it might be free under your calling plan.

*can tell its a standard message rate because its c.10p - some networks charge 12p, hence the c.

Sponsored Links
Back