Probably quick 2 way question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have just moved into a new house and have a strange 2 way light problem with the lounge light. One switch has to be 'off' for the other switch to turn the light off otherwise switching the second switch just makes the light turn off for a second then comes back on again.

The 'first' switch has a red and black going to L1 and L2 with a single red going to com.

The second switch has a red and black going to L1 and L2 but the COM is fed from a linked live from a separate gang.

The light itself just has 2 reds going to to the rose.

I have noticed that there is several ways of doing a 2 way switch but I can't see this set up in any of the ways. Will there be a junction box in the attic somewhere that is incorrectly wired (its a bungalow).

Regards

Linda

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it is wired correctly.

Are all the connections sound?

It initially sounds to me like one of your switches might be faulty.

Could be a faulty switch or loose common even.

Best way to test is using a multimeter(dead circuit), isolate circuit from your consumer unit, and take measurements, in one switch there should be two wires ?
If not then a junction box is used to do 2 way wiring.

Does 'switch 2' feel normal when you operate it?

Im guessing that switch2 is faulty, putting a supply from com to L1 and L2 at the same time.

do you have a multimeter? Could be quite easy to check the fault if you do, but if its a case of 'go buy something', it will be cheaper to buy a new switch, make sketch/photograph the connections on the back of the existing switch and then with the power isolated, carefully replace the suspect switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. The switches look pretty old so I will replace them both. I will let you know how I get on.

Well after reading the reply from RF Lighting that it sounds like its wired correctly, then the other posts saying it could be a loose connection or faulty switch I thought by at least changing the switches (which could do with replacing anyway) I would at least eliminate a faulty switch.

I have looked at different 2 way diagrams both on here and by googling and found this one

GALLERY]

which, at least at the switches, looks how mine is wired.

Thanks
Linda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back