Problem: AEG oven goes off and trips main board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would welcome any suggestions as to what might be our problem. Our AEG oven has started turning itself off and tripping the main board whenever we have it at over about 190/200.
It is about 9 years old and had a new fan put in about a year ago.
It would be great if we could find out the problem and even fix it, rather than get a new oven.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Element breaking down. Cheap to replace

Fantastic, thanks.
Is it something we can do ourselves - change the element?
After several attempts and help from people on here, we did manage to get the oven out (it is fitted into a unit) and change the fan. Hopefully we can do this also.
Thanks

Videos on YouTube tells you how.

Sponsored Links
If its the element for the fan oven oven setting there is no need to remove the oven from its housing just the rear panel within the oven cavity. 5 min job top's !!

Hi,
Thanks to everyone for previous replies. I finally am getting round to doing something about it, having had a few months of cooking nothing at a high temperature without all the electricity going off!
Before I buy one, I just wanted to see if there was a way of discovering if it definitely is the element, and not the thermostat? (I do not have any sort of meter reading gadget).
Thanks, Catherine

Its most unlikely that a thermostat failure would cause the oven to trip.....with the stat dud, the oven doesn't work at all. It'll be the element for sure.
John :)

Thanks for your clear answer. We did put a new element in last August. Is it likely that it could be going again so soon? I did get it from an Ebay supplier so maybe it was not a very good one.
Anyone recommend anywhere to get one from that is reliable?
Thanks so much to everyone for your help.

Thanks.
Sorry to ask again, but is it likely it is the element even though we only put the new one in last August?

Well that has to be the million dollar question......what happens is, the insulation that encapsulates the element starts to fail, and you can get tracking of electricity from the element to the oven itself - thats what trips the breaker.
It requires expensive test gear to see if its actually the cause....not a device that many people would have - a multimeter won't do it.
I have to admit, a few months before failure is a bit unusual but for the price of an element, I'd give it a go again.....just my opinion!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back