Problem with a generator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(posting in the garden section because I have seen similar questions re petrol mowers, plus it lives in my garden shed :D - happy for a mod to move if that is deemed necessary)

Having a problem with my little generator which is refusing to start. The engine turns over fine, and seems to have decent compression. Spark plug is fine and I can see it make a spark if I remove it, earth it on the vanes and pull the starting cord.
Valves open and close as expected.

So now I'm guessing that just leaves fuel?

I took the head off and there seems to be no fuel making it to the cylinder head (click pics to embiggen 'em);

So I removed the carburetor from the head and the ?outlet? from the carb body;

It seems bone dry and pressing the primer pump doesn't seem to send any fuel down.
I don't know very much about carburetors - should it expel fuel, or is the fuel sucked in by the vacuum in the head?

There's definitely fuel making it to the carb - I started to unbolt what I presume is the fuel filter (?? - the bell with the "5X" sticker on it, below) and it was full of petrol.

Any suggestions on the carb welcome, or any other areas of investigation if it's not electrical and it's not fuel?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You need to strip the carb down, petrol goes sticky and gooey if left for a while, it's probally blocked the jets..

Find some easy start and see if it starts on that, that will confirm it.

You need to strip the carb down, petrol goes sticky and gooey if left for a while, it's probally blocked the jets..

Find some easy start and see if it starts on that, that will confirm it.

Cool - thanks, Paul - I'll give that a go
Is there anything to watch out for when stripping a carb - springs that will ping away or owt like that?

Edit: Ahhh.... found some how-to guides on t'internet. Seems moderately tricky, but I'll give it a go :D

Is that a wee Tecumseh motor?
See the carb float bowl? Remove it, and let's know what you find in the bottom......chances are there's some grot in there, and the jets are immediately above which may be blocked.
Pressing that red primer button actually shoots a drop of petrol straight out of the main jet to help starting.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Well, I have to say I agree with you....I would imagine the small flecks in the last float bowl pic (with the float pin) are just the odd bit of paint from the tank, maybe.
In the first pic you can see the main jet tube - dead central. Is that clear? This is were an aerosol can of carb cleaner comes in...presumably you have the jet itself somewhere? The centre hole must be clear, and there may be a hole drilled in the side too. The main jet is often the bowl securing bolt in one.
When you removed the float bowl, was it full of fuel?
On occasion, a teaspoon of raw petrol down the plug hole gets the engine to fire.
Does petrol flow to the carb via gravity i.e no fuel pump?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back