Problem with Earth Bond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A few days ago we had a Dyson engineer come to fix the vacuum cleaner.

The same guy has been fixing the washing machine and vacuum here for years.

I wasn’t at home, but after he had fixed it, he tested the electrics by putting a tester
in a regular socket.

He told my wife that the reading on the Earth bonding is way above what it should be
(she thinks he said 200).

And that it needs to be looked at.

We’ve lived here for years, and nothing major has been done to the electrics.

The Earth bond is set up like this and hasn’t changed since we’ve been here.

On the outside wall, directly from the consumer unit a long length of green
(just green) cable is hanging down (not clipped), it has been stripped back
and connected to a metal connector that in turn is screwed to an open piece
of rod (might be iron – thick outer wall). Like an old piece of gas pipe, before
copper was used.

The exposed rod is about 6 inches in length and runs through concrete,
that runs to earth.

But where we live there is only around 2 foot of soil, below that is just sand.

The Dyson guy said that we could pour water on the earth wire, but I’d prefer
for a permanent fix.

So if I turn off the CU and re-strip the cable and clean it up, and make sure
everything is tight – what “wall socket tester” would be the best to see if the
reading has changed?

And if so, what is an acceptable reading for an Earth Bond?

Or could I just re-route the cable and bond to the cold water pipe under the kitchen sink?

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Stephen just because you have lived there for years and its been like that it doesn't mean its OK. get a spark in to check out the installation , who will have the required testing equipment ,not one you can buy cheaply and plug into a socket.

It sounds like you have what is called a "TT" supply. Where you provide the earth, through an earth electrode.

As a result of this the earth impedances are usually much lower than many "appliance" engineers will come across with their plug in testers.

As Terry says, it does sound like you need to get that tested and checked out by a competent electrician. An adequate earth connection is very important. Does your consumer unit/fuseboard have any form of RCD on it? A picture or two would be helpful.

* The resistance of the installation earth electrode should be as low as practicable. A value exceeding 200 ohms may not be stable.
It is calculated so it will operate the protective device before the true earth (outside) and house bonding (inside) have 50 volts difference between them. So with a 100 mA RCD 50/0.1 = 500Ω so at 200Ω your well within the limits.

It is measured with a special meter with two spikes, it needs a lot of ground to run out the cables to the test spikes and a real pain to measure, however using a loop impedance meter you can measure the combined resistance of your earth spike plus the DNO's earth spike, not as accurate, but that it likely the method used. What can happen is to start with you have earth spike plus your water pipes plus your gas pipes so although the spike is only 200Ω in real terms you have something like 2Ω when all are measured together.

So as electricians we have to disconnect the earths to everything but the earth spike to measure it, otherwise we don't know if measuring water pipe or earth spike. We also use a calibrated meter and have to repeat the measurement a few times as voltage fluctuations can upset the reading. Then reconnect the other earths, it would seem unlikely that a Dyson repair man would have the meter or the time to do a proper test.

Likely he has something like the EZ150 plug in tester cost around £50 against £200 for proper meter, these have a series of lights,
Martindale-EZ150-E-ze-Check-extra-Socket-Tester.jpg
with a TT supply 100Ω would be AOK and 500Ω only just on the mark, and with the one shown you also have a half way at 200Ω but would not matter if 101Ω or 200Ω he would still get the same reading.

With a TN supply you would be better than 1.7Ω so I can see why some one would be upset at 200Ω but it could with a TT supply be quite normal. By all means get an electrician to test the earth spike and the RCD which you must have, in fact with an old ELCB-v 200Ω would be about the best you would get, and they have been replaced with the ELCB-c (Also called RCD and RCCD) so a quick look to see if your device has 100 mA or 30 mA marked on it would be a good move.

However there could well be nothing wrong.

Proper tester looks like this
extech-382252-earth-ground-resistance-tester-kit.jpg
or failing that this
megger-loop-tester-lwt315frontl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Okay guys - you've convinced me - I will contact a sparky on Tuesday.

Thank you all for your time explaining in detail why I wouldn't have a clue to Do It Myself.

That on this occasion is truly DIY . . . NOT!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back