Problem with filler - not strong enough

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a long curtain pole that has fallen off.
I've filled in with this wall filler I bought from Amazon:

pC83aTR.jpg

PROBLEM: the curtain pole falls off again.
The filler that came out was brittle and not hard.

What am I doing wrong?
The filler is 'supposed' to be strong enough to be re-drilled and hold strong and be crack resistant.

I'm just adding water to the powder.

Hoping there's a quick answer. Happy to get alternative filler or adjust the formula for this current one I have.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What am I doing wrong?

Expecting filler to hold up a curtain pole.

You need to drill through the filler and the plaster into the wall behind, hopefully brick or block, and insert a plug and a screw long enough to pass the load about 2 inches into it

Expecting filler to hold up a curtain pole.

You need to drill through the filler and the plaster into the wall behind, hopefully brick or block, and insert a plug and a screw long enough to pass the load about 2 inches into it
No... it was into brick. No plasterboard.
I thought this filler would be OK?
Still not sure what I should be doing

Have you got a drill?

How far under the surface is the brick?

How deep did your plasplug penetrate?

How deep did your screw penetrate?

It is no good screwing into the filler.

Sponsored Links
@JohnD Yes, I've got a drill. The wall is an outside one, not internal. On top there is plaster.
How far? How deep did your screw penetrate? I'd say 3-4CM.

>> It is no good screwing into the filler.
I guess that's where I'm going wrong :)
It says on the box can be drilled. What should I use instead? I'd like to redrill in the same location. I could move location... but would prefer not to.

Let me know.
Thanks.

I'd say 3-4CM.

That seems awfully thick plaster? You need to drill the brick or block - beneath the plaster, to a depth of 30 plus mm, then insert the plug into that depth and use a screw just a little short of the hole depth - in brick + plaster + bracket.

I'd like to redrill in the same location. I could move location... but would prefer not to.
You drill through the plaster and into the brick. You can drill in the same place, but deeper, unless it is cratered or crumbly.

Disregard the thickness of filler and plaster, it has no strength, so only the depth of plug and screw in the brickwork will provide support.

A curtain pole shouldn't mind too much if its moved left or right or up or down by a couple of centimetres to give a fresh location for the hole.

The filler is 'supposed' to be strong enough to be re-drilled and hold strong and be crack resistant.
Maybe it is strong. But the powdery/crumbly plasterboard the filler sitting in is not. Even if the filler doesn't fail, the plasterboard around it will when the filler is under load.

I'm confused.
Surely there must be some sort of filler I can fill with?
I looked on youtube.
One guy used a cement filler to fill holes on an outside wall (I think that's what he used - he seemed to be knowing what he was doing).
The plasterboard is maybe less than a CM thick, the rest is brick I'm sure.

What would one use to fill a hole in a brick wall?

Thanks

Filler will fill a hole, so it looks nice, for decoration.

But you want a strong mechanical fixing that will carry the weight of a curtain and pole.

Not the same thing.

What would one use to fill a hole in a brick wall?
I recommend filling brick wall using the following filler because it says it's for exterior use. The brick wall provides a strong foundation for the filler. Therefore the fill will work. A plaster board does not give a strong foundation. Therefore the fill will fail when load is exerted.

For my own DIY, I would filled a hole in brick wall using mortar mix (3 part sand and 1 part cement) because it's cheaper, and I have the materials already.

I thought you already have the filler? Just use that. Your local B&Q/Wicks will have ready mixed filler tubs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back