Problem with fitting mosaics - can anyone help please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a single row of mosaic tiles as a border through the middle of two rows of normal tiles on my bathroom wall.
The problem I have is that the mosaic tiles are approximately half the thickness of the normal times so they will be set back further than the normal tiles when fitted.

Can I raise the mosaics by just using additional adhesive, or is there a way of pack the wall with something (stip of wood, or plaster) prior to attaching them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and should stop the Mrs stressing at me!!!! :LOL:

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'll be going up to my house tomorrow hopefully so i'll check then.

Thanks for the reply mate :)

Use more adhesive, but allow more time for it to dry out before you do the grouting.

Sponsored Links
Thats not always a good way to do it Handyjon if you are using readymixed adhesive, OK if cement based. If its more than 3mm difference then the premixed will not cure correctly, especially if they are glass mosaic.

The last time I did this I tiled the whole wall with BAL Whitestar and used strips of MDF to space the tiles where the mosaic border was going. Once the tiles had set (next day) I fixed the mosaic with a cement based adhesive and pushed them flush to the wall tiles with a grout float.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/work/?action=view&current=ensuite2.jpg

Jason

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.
My PC has been down so have been unable to get on to reply to any of you.

To answer the question asked by Thermo the normal tiles are 7mm thick and the mosaics are 4mm, so there i a difference of 3mm.

Jason,
Would you still recommend using your method or do you think we'd get way with using extra of the pre-mix adhesive we have.
Also you'll have to forgive my naivity but what do you mean by a grout float? Do you mean swiping the grout over the tiles to fill the grooves?

Any recommendations welcome

Thanks from a newcomer to all things DIY!!!!!!

You could get away with your premixed stuff, but I would use the spacer & fit mosaic later method as the tile adhesive will thak a while to go off and the weight of tiles above could cause them to move, It also has the advantage of giving you two flat surfaces to level the mosaic to.

This is a grout float, but a block of wood will have the same effect.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22773&recno=24

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back