Problem with neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbour has moved there stairs on to our party wall that is our lounge and bedroom wall they never sent us anything to let us no they were doing this and from reading up they have broken the rules not doing so we have spoken to building control as this has been on going since last year as all you now hear is them going up and down the stairs and banging about and waking my mum up in the early hours building control reckon they can't get them to move the stairs back and off our wall but they said they can send them a letter of some sort saying that they now can't sell there house due to all of this surely if its disturbing us constantly they can make them move them back my mum is ill and doesn't need all this

Sponsored Links
No they can't make them move the stairs, the only way BC may act is if it is unsafe for the occupiers, or anyone else. I don't see what BC are saying when they say they wouldn't be able to sell. The lack of Building Regs approval would probably put some buyers off but not all but it will not prevent them from being able to sell in principle.

Our neighbour has moved there stairs on to our party wall that is our lounge and bedroom wall they never sent us anything to let us no they were doing this and from reading up they have broken the rules not doing so we have spoken to building control as this has been on going since last year as all you now hear is them going up and down the stairs and banging about and waking my mum up in the early hours building control reckon they can't get them to move the stairs back and off our wall but they said they can send them a letter of some sort saying that they now can't sell there house due to all of this surely if its disturbing us constantly they can make them move them back my mum is ill and doesn't need all this
Any chance of a few full stops and capital letters? :p

But surely if it is constantly bothering us then something should be done we have rights to also my dad is a builder and he says the wall is not strong enough to hold the stairs and will eventually fall apart and as the walls are paper thin and you hear everything why should my mum have to pout up with it when shes ill

Sponsored Links
the only way BC may act is if it is unsafe for the occupiers, or anyone else.

Have BC inspected? You can 'report a dangerous structure', you will likely find a section as to how to go about it on your Local Authority's website.

Have you seen the works? If not its a little hard for your dad to know.

We don't no they said they was going to as we had a lot of trouble when they were doing the work as they came threw the wall to our side with the drill and we had people down then as our house is rented and the housing association were not happy as they said it could damage there property

Stairs are not fixed to walls. They are fixed from floor to floor

Your best option would be to contact the councils environmental health dept, who have more powers to deal with things like this under statutory nuisance law. If it is deemed a statutory nuisance, then the neighbours can be made to abate the nuisance - which could mean replace the stairs to how they were, or fit sound insulation. Building control can't do this.

Another option would be to get the council to assess it in terms of anti social behavior. Again contact the council but ask for their private sector ASB team

the only way BC may act is if it is unsafe for the occupiers, or anyone else.

Have BC inspected? You can 'report a dangerous structure', you will likely find a section as to how to go about it on your Local Authority's website.

Have you seen the works? If not its a little hard for your dad to know.

Yes we seen them on passing by. We have been told the wall is not structurally strong enough to support the stairs

our house is rented and the housing association were not happy

Get your housing officer to do what I said above

You might also be able to make the statutory nuisance claim against your housing association as landlord - mention that to them and it might jolly them along

Is their house rented from the HA ?
If so did they have HA approval to move the stairs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back