Problem with noise from roof eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new build house has rustling and creaking noises coming from the eaves area when it is windy and this can be heard in the bedrooms and is intrusive. The national housebuilder have done bits and pieces in the loft such as properly secure loose timbers and tape the overlapping edges of the roof felt, but this has had no effect and they now say they can do no more. They have not sent a surveyor or Civil engineer to look at the roof and they have not actually looked properly at the eaves from inside and out. I have attached 2 photos - is this how the eaves area should look - any idea what the white plastic is for? Any help greatly appreciated.
Roof 1.jpg
Roof 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
The black corrugated plastic is eaves ventilator and is allowing the passage of air from the soffit void which would otherwise be prevented/stifled by the insulation. The white plastic may be flame stopping.

Last edited:
I don't know about creaking, but a common noise, like plastic rattling or a low hum like a kazoo, tends to come from those black eaves vents, or on the outside the builders may have used the wrong type or poor eaves tray into the gutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back