Problem with part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me start by saying that I agree with part P in principle, and I totally agree with the need for T & I to prove safety.
Now the main post. For the past 30 years I have had my own audio visual hire business and this included supplying temporary electrical installations both outdoors and in marquees where large numbers of general public were present. These are probably the most dangerous of installations. Allthough I am not formally trained as an electrician I do know about 16th edition, testing etc and before retirement was approved by many councils and stately home owners and government organisations for temporary electrical installation. Every circuit had MCB and RCD protection and all testing carried out. I, nor any member of the public or clients have never had even the slightest shock and every thing has always been passed by fire officers. Now this is my point, whilst I do not envisage doing domestic work for others, Part P prevents me from adding an extra socket in my own kitchen without it being inspected by a council man who probably knows less than me. I think there should be a facility in the Part P system that allows people like me with years of proven experience to carry out minor work in our own property. Just a final point, any equipment which I supplied on hire was PAT tested prior to every hire, On at least two occasions where members of the public attended the council inspector came to check my work, I produced a computer printout of the test results and they said they had never seen this before. So much for competence.

Sponsored Links
Computerised PAT test records? I think most of the more upmarket PAT testers do that now, certainly the Megger PAT 4 I have holds a fair amount of records downloadable via the serial port.
The important part is records are being kept, regardless of wether or not they are hand written or computerised.

Since you retired the 17th has added in a requirement for a EIC for fairs, fairgrounds, temporary venues, concerts etc.

So not only are you not able to do domestic, in the strictest sense any installation you did commercially (from July 08)would have required you to qualify under the 17th ed.

PS You ar allowed to do minor works, non notifiable under part P. Where it fails is kitchen, bathroom, external and provision of a full new circuit or CU.

You can do sockets, switches and alterations to existing non notifiable circuits.

Now this is my point, whilst I do not envisage doing domestic work for others, Part P prevents me from adding an extra socket in my own kitchen without it being inspected by a council man who probably knows less than me. I think there should be a facility in the Part P system that allows people like me with years of proven experience to carry out minor work in our own property.
You're several years late with that complaint, and it's a little tedious to read it here for the umpteenth time...

So not only are you not able to do domestic, in the strictest sense any installation you did commercially (from July 08)would have required you to qualify under the 17th ed.
In the strictest sense it would not, as BS 7671 does not mandate any particular requirements.

But whether any necessary liability insurance would be valid if you had no qualifications is another matter.

There's also the EAWR to consider. Again this does not mandate any particular qualifications, nor even compliance with BS 7671, but all those venues you mentioned were places of work for someone, and that someone's employer had a legal duty to ensure that the systems provided were safe. So whether said employers would now be happy to allow an unqualified person to do electrical installations is also another matter.

Sponsored Links
its worse for the electricians that are still in the trade as they may be fully trained and qualified but if they work for a company then they still cant DIY notifiable work at home without paying their local building control etc.

The part P system isnt perfect but as i see it:

-having the regulation and law on its side means more people think twice about what is required to DIY safely, and its implications. and if a professional does a crap job there is someone else to complain to.

-the system could be better, but none could come up with a 'perfect system'

Interesting to read all your comments. Just to clarify a couple of points. First, I retired and sold the business in December 04 which I believe was pre 17th ed. and second, my PAT tester was an MPAT which had a serial out to computer. The records were downloaded and converted to comma separated, dumped into a database where a query searched the serial numbers and added the equipment description. I think the later ones had alpha numeric inputs so you could enter a desription as well as serial number.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back